Old 01-10-2012   #11
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
My speed reading skills have gone down hill! I saw back to back permits thinking 2 trips in a row, not 2 seperate launches 1 day apart.

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #12
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by eljim

On the nose unless you get fake IDs it's a mute point.
My bad, good luck.

eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #13
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
My husband and I are interested. 1 16" boat 2 people. We have lots of experience - been down the canyon every year for the last 5 years and several previous trips. Contact me off-line at Thanks!
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #14
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Arizona, I'm interested! Private message sent...
ChuckT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #15
Williams, United States
Paddling Since: 2012
Thank you for the responses. Please keep them coming. I will be making calls tomorrow trying to contact you as I will not be at work. Please include your contact information (name, email, phone) preferably PM.

Best regards,

Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #16
White Salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 1970
May Canyon trip

Jake, I am interested in your Grand Canyon trip, I have run the Colorado through the Grand Canyon four times, three rowing rafts once kayaking the most recent Feb. 2011 25days Lees ferry to Pierce ferry. I have also run the Selway, Middle and Main Salmon in Idaho and other rivers/creeks. I live in White Salmon, WA and Kayaking and river trips are pretty much my favorite thing in life. Looking forward to hearing more details about your May trip. Thanks, Corey e-mail
funhog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #17
Williams, United States
So after talking with a few more people... I am changing gears and now have a more clear direction. I need to keep this simple. So I have decided to do the painless private trip. I got a quote for 12500 which includes everything. Another quote was around 15000. Pretty much I need 4-5 experienced boatmen who can row 18 foot bailers safely, share the expenses, share the work while on the river, and have a great time. Trip starts May 1 and we will be off on May 18 or 19 at Pearce.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thank you to all who have contacted me.

Best regards,

Jake Eckel
Old 01-16-2012   #18
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Boatmen end up doing more work than non-rowers. You should consider some lightening of the load on other group duties for the boatmen since you need them to pull off this trip and some people will essentially relax during the rowing times and possibly during the rigging and de-rigging.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #19
Williams, United States
Most everyone will be rowing and will want to row. We just don't have experience. All we are looking for is some direction from people who have that experience. By the end of the trip most of us will savvy. As for some people working harder than others, that happens everyday in life. True some of the boatmen will work harder than others, but the other people can help in other ways while the boatmen relax.
Old 01-16-2012   #20
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Be careful. These boatmen will sleep with your women and there will be an altercation deep inside the earth. If you think that you're ready to handle that, read on, but be aware it's likely to happen.

You're going about this the right way, painless private and your equipment will be dialed, boatmen get to row the rapids and get on a permit, everybody wins. But you need to offer something to the real deal river runners that have will make this happen for you, at a fraction of the cost of a commercial trip - which is what your group is best suited for.

My advice is to dump one of the trips, take the few people that you really want to share the experience with, and put a recruited boatman in charge of each raft. They get all the rapids and don't cook or do dishes. That's a hell of an equitable arrangement if you ask me. When these guys and girls show you the time of your life, day after day, it will seem like a good deal for everybody. They might even bring a firepan, a stove, or a raft and save you a chunk of money.

The point is, there's a lottery system now and trips are pretty easy to get on for the experienced boatman. $12-1300 is also a big chunk of money for the experienced boatman, who may be accustomed to putting together trips with communal gear and food shopping. But to be cooked for for 3 weeks.... it would be worth the price tag, and worth the company, because let's face it - you are not their ideal boating partners and the camaraderie is everything down there.

I hope this is useful advice, but I've talked to friends on the guide side of arrangements like this after Grand Canyon trips and it might be useful to remember what these people sacrifice to take you on the river.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote