Old 07-05-2012   #1
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
1st time on Browns!!!

Allright! We have done both sides of browns canyon but have skipped browns as we practice our rowing skills (14 ft raft, oar frame). We have done a few class IIIs on Colorado river and the arkansas, and this weekend we are going to give Brown's a try.

Anyone have words of wisdom or want to come with??? We will take all the help we can get. We are considering doing it both Saturday and Sunday, or maybe floating to Rincoon on Sunday.

As far as camping we aren't quite sure where to go, just definitely want to have some help through Seidel's (sp??) if necessary.

watercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #2
Summit County, Colorado
Brown's is going to be a very technical run for you in a 14' oar frame at these low flows (371 cfs right now, I believe). We did it at 423 in our 13' oar frame down to Stone Bridge a couple of weeks ago. You will have a very tight spot in Pinball that will require some high siding, and then again in one of the last rapids before Hecla. The rocks on the left below Zoom Flume may also cause you issues if you're not paying attention. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing Brown's your first time at these flows, especially in a 14' oar frame, and also if you are not familiar with the run at all. It's going to be a lot of work dodging rocks and beating your boat up. We actually thought Siedel's and Twin Falls were easier than some of the rapids above. The lines were clearer through those two than many of the rapids above Hecla. There is camping above Canyon Doors and then a couple of other spots above Zoom Flume. Again, maybe consider not camping on the river, but rather at the put-in. You will appreciate a lighter boat at these flows, as you may have to get out to push it if it gets stuck.

Others may tell you differently, but it was tight at higher flows in our 13' oar frame (we did it twice already this season) and we are very familiar with the run. That being said, it's a gorgeous canyon and it really hasn't been as busy as it usually is due to the low flows. If you do go, just remember to look ahead and keep and eye out for rocks, have a light boat so you can move around quickly (there are spots where you need to get from one side of the river to the other very fast), and have fun! It's pretty mellow right now and not too terribly pushy, just very technical.

summitraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #3
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thank you so much for that info! I may have written you back yesterday, if so, sorry for duplicity You sound super knowledgable, I think we may go from stone bridge to vallie bridge instead thanks to your advice, Browns didn't sound like the most relaxing idea after your description.
I currently live in Alamosa, but my boyfriend is in Frisco and we meet in Salida/BV frequently, if you are interested in joining forces ever, let me know!!
this weekend or another time
watercycle is offline   Reply With Quote