Old 04-23-2009   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Zion Narrows...TOO LOW...Don't Go

I just got off the phone with a crew that paddled there today. They said they scraped down the whole way. Many portages for wood. In general, Not enough water. They said they are beat and it was not worth the trip.

Vin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #2
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Funny you say that: Derk, myself, and a bunch of people were going to head down there, and we got the same message. Did you hear your info from Matt & Sean?

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #3
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The graph is showing decreasing flow with the cooler temps, too. Darn it, we were planning on leaving at 5 this afternoon! I guess that town float with the inflatable pool toys may just happen after all...
-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #4
Fraser, Colorado
Okay, so the flow was between about 300 & 600 yesterday according to the gage, and this is reportedly not enough water. Can anyone comment on what the gage should read for this run to be fun?
foreverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #5
Edwards, Colorado
Paddled it on Thurs

We paddled yesterday. We got a permit in the am and got on the river @ 9:30am. They say its 6 miles to the confluence. It took us 5+ hours to do those 6 miles due to lack of water, getting pinned every 10'. If you can get your permit the night before and get on the river much earlier, it would be fun. We didn't and it was brutal.

Looks like it maxed out the night before @ 575cfs and was closer to 350 when we got on the river dropping the whole way. Once we got to the confluence it was fun. Beautiful the whole way. Some of the best river scenery I've ever come across. Be prepared for an adventure and more water the better.

We saw a group of 2 on a shredder while we were in there walking down the first 6 miles. They were spending the night in there, so I'm sure they got out today in the am with some good water.

If you can get your permit the night before (by 5pm) and get an early start, it would be a great run at those flows. Otherwise, forget it unless it gets much higher.

I'll be at the shop tomorrow if anyone has any questions.

Have fun,
AQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #6
The run only has 18 cfs in the first part pretty much no matter what unless its raining and flash flooding. Scraping down and being pinned every 10 ft IS what that run is all about. I have done it twice when it is supposedly "in" and both times have been scraping down that first part. 5+ hours is quick for that scrape-fest. That's why some mind-alterants are fairly mandatory. If you did'nt like it because you got pinned every 10' you probably would'nt like it in general. It can pad out a little but not much.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I'm for deep creek first D unless someone decides to come clean with a TR...

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote