Old 01-30-2008   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
It's exactly the "Flashy" bit that worries me. Don't think I want to be in a slot canyon that committing when it is flashing and bringing all kinds of crap down on my head.

Is 2k full on flashing bringing trees down river/changing rapids or is it just a "high" flow?

I Re-e-eally want to do this but I would have to make it in a Friday afternoon to Sunday night type of deal.

I was mostly being sarcastic. 2000 is scary as hell. Not much wood worry in that area, but you'd be committed. During normal run off it is generaly consistent and good to go. Just remember to check the forecast for rain clouds up north before you get on. I beleive you are looking for 700 to a grand.

God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #12
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
That place doesn't suck...

Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #13
Check the weather for big storms before dropping in. As far as camping goes, in the bottom miles of the Narrows there are some very tall beaches/hills that would offer high and dry camping, most of which are after Orderville, and before the tourists and road. For a higher up spot, we ate lunch at a good potential location at the confluence of the tribs. Not as good of scenery as the spots towards the end though.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #14
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
REAL flash

This should get you nervous about flashfloods... Anyone who was in there in '67 or thereabouts had a hell of a ride. 9100 cfs in that canyon would be a hell of a sight.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #15
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
or try this

USGS Surface Water for Utah: Peak Streamflow
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I bet that 15'er makes a nice surf wave at 9000 cfs!
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #17
Bring a lot of mind-alterants, the first 7 hours are on 14 cfs. Both times I did it the Zion was cranking but Orderville is the majority of the run and you will be hoping for a flash flood for 7 straight hours. The entire run is Class 2-3, even the 15'er so other than log jam potential and other flash flood hazards a flash flood would not be too terrible. Fun Class 4 section interspersed with flatwater from the narrows take-out down a few miles with a free shuttle back up. The Black Boxes of the San Rafael rule, however the last 12 miles of the 2nd black box requires significant mind-alterants as well. Basically you are'nt prepared for Southern Utah Kayaking unless you have mind-alterants. Basically if you don't have the Southern Rockies GuideBook your a JONG.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #18
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Anybody got any pix of any of the above? AWA only has a couple. Flowtorch, if those are pix your tried to post, they're not makin' the trip here.

ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #19
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
Hey... I think we met a couple times last summer (# & Westy?). There are a couple of us looking into a run early April. I've hiked it before. Around 16 miles, decent shuttle. We hired it when we hiked it. I'll let you know if it happens. The gang is pretty good at follow through. Snow pack is looking good.

I hiked it as well and thought how cool a paddle it would be. A friend and I are planning a run in the spring. I'd like to run below the temple as well, but he isn't in for that. Please keep me in the loop.

CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote