Old 04-10-2012   #1
Durango, CO, Colorado
yup.. groover quesitons

Its really hard to google "groover" and get the intended results.

Are homemade groover requirements getting stricter?

I'm headed out with a group of people who have never used a groover before, and a couple are somewhat wary of the whole process. Frankly, the ladies dont want to see anyone's poo in a bucket when they go to do the deed themselves.

It sounds like I'm going to need a multi-bag kind of system. I'm fine with that anyway, sounds... optimal. one poo --> one bag
I was thinking about putting together one out of PVC pipe like I saw in a video on a kayak blog. I have access to ammo cans, but PVC sounds cheaper, but equally as containable in one container.

On the other side, what is the cheapest "commode" style groover preassembled available for purchase- That would also meet all river regulations?

I'm thinking something similar to:

although I really don't want to spend $150....
would the bucket with the toilet seat qualify? Or should I just stick with the PVC setup since everyone seems alright with that?

cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #2
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
It all depends on where you are going as to what is required.

I use a gamma bucket ( free five gallon bucket ) set up that costs around $8 for the seal that nests into a dairy crate for free if you aren't afraid to pick one up out of the alley where tons seem to accumulate and get tossed with regularity. Just so anyone with the Dairy Crate Enforcer division is reading - I wait until they are in the garbage to upcycle - you bastards.

No one wants to see other peoples poo, there must some innate evolution reason why humans always have to look where they are pooping. Maybe too many times someone has copped on a snake or something.
The bags aren't cheap $3 a pop I think - and when I take my kids we use them but just one a night or maybe two if full. Then it gets sealed up with the chemical to compost in the garbage somewhere.

Tell them not to look down. It's not worth it.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I also use the bucket & gamma lid system like C-Dog. 6 gal. bucket is a nice comfy height. Check the regs. on the river you will be going on. We use it on Main Salmon, Middle Fork, Rogue, Deso, San Juan without any problems.
Over the years we have never had any "poo visualization" issues. However, we now have a group member who threatens to hurl when he sees poop. In the past we just used a toilet seat without the lid for the bucket groover. But last year I attached a seat with lid to a gamma lid to help lessen this person's poo aversion problem. It worked out pretty well.
I have never used a wag bag system, but using one bag per poop seems like it would be pricey and present a problem with excess bags to haul out. I would go with a regular groover system ( bucket & gamma lid or Ecosafe) and tell your gals to "cowgirl up." It's all part of the river experience.
cataraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #4
Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Yep, the Gamma bucket system seems to work best and is cheap. They also work great in the scat machines. Rivers like the John Day and the Deschutes don`t allow the bag system.
Snowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #5
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I think you should get the toilet in your picture(the eco-safe). It's a good investment. I was using bags a couple of seasons ago, but it's a lot of bags and it stinks every time you open your container to put in a freshly filled poop sack. With the toilet you sprinkle some blue stuff on it and it won't smell.Tell your people to put a piece of t.p. on their poop so the next person won't have to look at it if they are that squeamish. But, if you go the bucket route, I saw some nice toilet seats that attatch to a 5-gal bucket at Cabella's the other day for around $14.00
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #6
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Where do you guys get the 6 gal buckets with gamma lids? Haven't seen anything like that at the hardware store.

A FWIW- It always shocks me when I hear of someone being "squeamish" about poo-I mean we all do it. What's the problem?
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #7
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I get all my buckets and Gamma lids at I also pick up my barrels there, they have a great selestion of items.
Brushfire830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #8
Donkey Town, Colorado
Ummm buy them the book "everyone poops".
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #9
Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Ummm buy them the book "everyone poops".
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #10
Calgary, Alberta
Forgive the ignorance, but we don't have requirments for things on the rivers I've done up here in Canuckistan.

I'm guessing the seat/funnel into the box attachment has to be cleaned prior to packing your boat back up, yes? And how do you clean them out at the end of the trip?

I'm interested in getting on rivers where one of these will be needed.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote