Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-18-2004   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Yule Creek and South Fork of the Crystal info

Planning a trip from MT to CO, and was wondering if Yule Creek, the South Fork of the Crystal typically run during the same time as the Crystal Gorge. Any info would be great. Thanks.

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #2
A group of paddlers were running Yule Creek on June 20, shooting for a kayak DVD. We ran into them in Marble while we were up there for the Mill Waterfall.

So, apparently it is running now. Those guys said there was still plenty of snow above the Crystal and they expect it to run late.

They ran the Devil's Punch Bowls a day or two before and mentioned a snowbridge at higher elevations.

The mill waterfall sure is stunning. It looks a lot better in person than it does in the postcards. The shuttle is a brutal 4x4 trek though. Definitely take a look at it if you are driving a 4x4 and already up in the Yule Creek area.

After we scouted it, we went on safari looking for one of our friends who got lost on the way there. We ended up not dropping the falls because of our search, but we will do it this weekend.

Just thought I would offer what little I know on the subject since nobody else has answered you yet.

Whitewater Kayaking Photo & Video Journal
From Absolute Beginner on Paddle Day 1 to Advanced Big Water Paddler.
Savage Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #3
Denver, Colorado
thanks for the info. Hopefully they will have a little life left when I get down there.
Old 06-23-2004   #4
Yule will definetly be good to go. I'd say it is runnable until mid July because you really don't need much water in there. It doesn't take much water to find yourself flushing into some of the upper drops on Yule scoutless. A guide helps, but if you take a good look from the rim at the 5-6 drops above the big 4 you should be fine.

There are always eddies on the Big 4, and you can scout all of them from the lip fairly well. Run #1 center right. #2 is the wall check and it is a hard hit. I compressed a vertebrate there on June 3rd and am likely out for the season. Normally we run about a boat length off the left, but I would say to risk the center line more to lessen the hit on the wall. Just don't end up far right! The rock pile is suicidal...and a ridge in the slide kicks you towards it. Run #3 starting far right under the branches in a small eddy. Then stay straight and you will end up river left in a nice pool. Stay upright. If sideways lean upstream hard to keep from catching an edge. Big #4 is icing on the cake.

Not trying to ruin the surprise for you, but being hurt sucks. If you have a clean run down it will be one of the best runs of your boating career. Clean that shit up for me!

NOTE. Please put in about a 1/4 mile down from a residential driveway, which is a bit further down from a girl scout camp. The hike/drop your boat isn't bad. I put a more detailed description on a past post. The land owners are being very cool about that, but aren't too cool about us getting near there land. Be discreet.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004   #5
Denver, Colorado
good to know about the land issues, and I appreciate the beta on lines. Thanks.