Old 07-27-2006   #1
You're cracking me up! Easy there, G.

I've been accused by a local shop of listening to "all the internet hype about Wavesport plastic". I told the muffin-headed-dune-dune that I was listening to my own hype about how crappy they are. I've had two of these go belly up on me. The first had the more traditional cockpit rim holes. The second boat, which was a factory replacement, I took into a rock this last weekend <not that hard mind you--I was floating in relatively flat water>. I thought I heard a //cracking// sound but I told myself there was no way. Yeah way! Nice old six inch crack right under the center pillar. Too bad because I love the EZG design, but I will never own a Wavesport again. Why when there are so many other good quality boats out there? To burn threw a boat a season is ridiculous for a recreational, non-sick, no-hucking, no-waterfall running, baby and small animal loving sort of guy. So I'd like to patch it up to get a few more late season runs out of it. Then I’ll turn it in to have it made into something more properly suited for the material—like grocery bags or foreign car bumpers. Anybody have suggestions on epoxy or other materials they have found work good on for patching up these sorts of things?

fluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #2

Contact John St. John @ Hog Island - He melts in metal screen material than welds over it - pretty bomber - has worked for a bunch of people around here.

KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #4
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
There is a shop close to Wildwasser in Boulder that fixes plastic boats. You might want to call Wildwasser and look into it.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #5
Metro Area, Colorado
I too have had a very similar experience. My first EZG had the cockpit holes. Had it factory warrantied. The new EZG I received doesn't have cockpit holes, but the plastic is SUPER weak. Even weaker than my original. I don't know if they used recycled plastic for all boats they know are going out on warranty or if all of their new boats are made out of this POS plastic. I love the EZG design, but also agree that I will NEVER buy another WS because of the plastic. The company has really gone downhill in quality in my opinion.

Wavesport Sucks!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
Any problems with the WS Project plastic? I (drool) love (drool) the boat, but I can't be spending good money on a weak product.

This all has me thinking twice; a buddy of mine just cracked his ZG48 down the hull.

How is WS's warranty/customer service?

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #7
Don't know about the Project plastic. It is a sweet boat (I've demo'd it). It just really sucks having a brand new, sweet boat that breaks. These things are a grand a piece! I am not so rich I can buy $1000 toys that get recycled every year.

So, the first boat got warrantied no problem. WS was good about it. This one is a little past the warranty. Still, in my opinion to buy a crappily made boat with a good design says we have money we are willing to spend on crappy boats. Then WS does good business and others have to start building bad boats to match prices, then we are all screwed. I'd rather send my $ elsewhere and tell them to build a boat like I like.
fluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #8
Metro Area, Colorado
They warrantied my boat with no problem. But I am starting to wonder if their replacement boats (for warranties) are made of different or weaker plastic. The plastic on my warrantied boat is CLEARLY weaker than my original.

No matter how much you like a design, if the product is made from sub-par plastic, it ain't worth spending a G on it. There are plenty of other boat companies out there that still have good plastic.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #9
Indian Hills, Colorado
Let's send Prijon the Project mold!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #10
The problem with the EZG isn't just limited to the EZG 50. I have seen a couple of the 42's and 60's with the holes under the cockpit rims.

It seems that in the molding process that not enough plastic is making it to that area.

While it does suck that a boat your droppin a grand for is breakin, to me it's like "wow you mean I get to tear up a boat for a while and then get a new one too"
Buy the EZG and ride that warrenty boat train

"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote