Old 06-25-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Your lost boat(s) on Clear creek.

Hi Folks.

Sitting around in Denver today, it's bloody hot.
Decided to pay a guide to run clear creek.
There was a ducky stuck in an eddy in the middle of the class IV section up high....I'm don't know the name of it, sorry.
I went bakl and freed the ducky after the trip, with the help of some other folks. They have the ducky and should be posting up shortly.

So, then I went alittle further down looking for some paddles I'd seen on the bank.
I found a raft stuck on a strainer river left just on the west side and down stream of tunnel 5. There was nobody around.
It was an Oar rig, cooler still onboard, no oars or anything around.
I could just get to it and pulled a bow line out of the water....which was good because it was 30ft long dangling right through the middle of the river.

I rigged a z pulley and tried to get the boat was stuck hard.

Then I found a paddle under the boat and pushed on it alittle. I went back to change direction on the z...and the raft cut loose. No problem I'd tied it off. Then my plan was to swing it into an eddy below that was hemmed in with rocks...a good spot to secure the raft.
So using the friction of the big boulders I started moving it down stream.
I was dragged pretty hard across some boulders, but was managing it ok.
The raft slipped into the main current, which was cranking, and it was all I could do to keep the raft from taking off.

Then the D ring blew....and down stream she went.

After calling 911 to let them know no one was in the raft/river( I knew everyone and their mother would be calling), I followed the raft down stream.

It hung up hard on river between Mile Marker 663.5 and MM 664.
If you can get river right it should be easy to get. Cooler was still in it, the frame looked worked.
I didn't see the brand but it's red and gray.

Goodluck getting your boat back...sorry I couldn't get it for you.

I do have your HUGE blue and white bow line, D ring, Carabiner, and a long black cam strap....let me know how to get them too you!

J. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hey Josh,

We are the people that helped get the ducky out of the eddie on double knife.

If you read this and have lost a duckie on Clear Creek today, please PM or call me and provide me with a description i.e. color etc.

climbermale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Hey Brian!

Good meeting you guys today.
You should have hung around for the next adventure!

J. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
It's always a adventure when people hit Clear Creek for the garage sale of the summer. I wish I could get that boat out of 1/4 mile. I have three friends ready to go now.
climbermale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Rafted from Lawson down to Idaho Springs today and it was a complete shit show. I couldn't believe how much gear I saw floating by... including an upside down NRS raft. I had two swimmers in Phoenix and lost one paddle. I doubt I'll see it again but in case anyone finds it, it's a black and white Harmony Descent. I might head down to Golden to fetch some booty tomorrow. Garage sale indeed.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011   #6
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: calv
Thanks J!

That was my oar boat that you found. We were rafting from Idaho Springs to Kermit's and basically bounced out of the eddy at the take out. Once we were going down stream again we knew we had to get out as we were not setup for the class V downstream.

We found it when it was stuck river right but didn't have the equipment to get it out so we left and came back. It looked stuck pretty well so we thought we had some time.

While we were on our way back some other guys came by and rescued the dry box but then the raft took off again. I still have to go back for parts of the frame that are stuck river right. I got the dry box back today and mp from the forums called and let me know that he saw someone pulling the boat out of an eddy near the RV park in golden.

I had checked that area and went back after the call but whoever pulled the boat out took it with them. Hopefully they can get a hold of me.

You can call me at 3/800/4110 - this is my house phone. Let me know what is convenient for you and I'll pick it up.

Thanks for your help.

cpax is offline   Reply With Quote