Old School 1 1.18%
Necky Crux 0 0%
Topo Duo! 0 0%
Mafia 1 1.18%
Big Gun 1 1.18%
Sniper 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2006   #31
The Fluid Solo is the best in my opinion and it is not...

even on here. I also like the Nomad 8.1, but the solo is the best.

alabamacreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #32
The Mont, Colorado

If you asked Ben Stookesbury. No Big Names/Twitch fame. Who paddles nothing but the shit and nothing but the shit everyday.

He'll tell you Embudo and now followed closely by the Prijon Cross(not LL)

Soon to be many peps fav the Hercules !!!!

Bobby Whitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #33
leadpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #34
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Sounds like some of you kids neeeed to get on a creek! I know I do. I'm cryin out loud to run something but find myself in the cold ass snow jonesin to paddle and talking on the buzz about the best creeker.

First off I'd say go for something that fits your body and your paddling style. Simple, light and and durable outfitting...Steep creekers go round hulls and big h20 go for some edge. Theres a few super solid creek boats out there with most major companies standing behind their stuff...Creeking is hard enough on its own, so why run a shant-piece design down your personal first-D?

From the looks of the poll the Jefe is the boat of choice for Colorado. I wonder how long it will be before other kayak companies choose design parameters for their boats that mimick the boss? I guess you need to go for what sells... props to LL for setting the bar.

I hope all this snow melts soon...

viva el jefe
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #35
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Seans boat was the scream. He is probably looking for some more if anyone has them. He is running low (low = has none left)
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #36
To clarify what Bryan said about chines (edges, I'm old school)...

The reason you want edges is for better tracking and carving in and out of eddies. In short it gives you better control because the edge grabs the water. This is excellent for big water paddling, which is why boats like the Diesel have very pronounced edges, partially due to the flat bottom. This is a river running boat.

NOTE: To make an edge sharp you either have to flatten out the bottom (sometimes only slightly), or flatten out the side wall (again, maybe only slightly). River runners tend to flatten out the bottom, because a flat and often nearly vertical side wall is more difficult to roll. And, both river runners and creek boats are designed to be easy to roll, requiring rounded side walls.

Creek boats don't have sharp edges for two reasons. A) the edges catch on rocks, resulting in spectacular down stream flips and botched lines. B) if they have a sharper edge, then they probably have a flat hull, which won't roll off the side of rocks as well. The hull sits completly flat against a flat rock, and your abs often aren't strong enough to roll the edge of the boat off of the side of the rock. This is a shallow water type boof (Luke Hopkins did a writeup on this for LP).

Hence, creek boats are made for shallow creeks, and river runners are made for larger volume rivers. That being said, if a 'creek' is flooded and has massive holes, wave trains, and hardly any rocks that you will be scraping over, then a river running kayak such as a deisel or h3 will probably perform better on that 'creek' but it still doesn't make it a creek boat.

prof. cutch

ps. M3 kicks the bosses ass. haha
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #37
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Best Creeker

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #38
I loves me Blunt,see no need to go new.You still see them all the time in videos and mags on expedition boating,so the wieght must not be too much of an issue.
Wasn't the Savage Maniac another cult creek boat?The Beast was a river running playboat ,but thier marketing showed guys dropping falls and creeky stuff in it,I liked that boat alot ,would buy one if it was cheap.
Nomads outfitting seems awesome
Add an Aire Force to your quiver for ELF'in

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote