Old 12-27-2007   #11
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
If you can put folding arms on the side of the rack, you can add two more kayaks to the rig. The rack I have has served me well and has carried up to 10 boats on a few occasions. Its simple and the materials cost about $200 cerca 2002.

salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #12

yeah, i got the standard painter/plumber rack from rhumda probably early in 2005 (then called by a new name that i can't remember) - located on the east side of downtown denver (is that the old rhumda?) -

anyways, if you are in the same position, definately think about it before you pull the trigger. i now wish that i was a little more cautious and not so impulsive, and had all the above info before purchasing.

i got the walking rails which are definately nice, but the bars on top are too far apart and boats definatley slip off them when on top. i don't have any kind of stackers, cause i still want to get in my garage (nice for a day like today), and also do find it handy to tie down on the sides (preferred method since it is closer and doesnt require getting up on the rack) and don't even have any kind of ledge other than the walking rails. problem with that is that boats are actually resting on my topper windows, and since most of my buds are too lazy to wipe off rocks on teh bottom of their boat, the windows get all scrached....would be nicer to have some side ledges so teh boats rest easier when not strapped, and even a support in the middle to keep the boats off the topper window.

a buddy of mine had some hooks added to hang gear on to dry that is nice.

i also have the problem with a 2005 tacoma, and teh composite bed, and it was a struggle to get the rack to mount on it (maybe they've figured it out since then?) and when they did it, they didn't get the seal right, and i do get leaks thru the topper/bed. it just looks like standard weather stripping to me.

so....for a lazy ass who doesn't want to drill and bolt, but would rather make some modificaiotns/welded, can any of you recommend a welder/fabricater (local denver) who would give a fair price to make some alterations?

thanks - S

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote