Old 08-06-2007   #11
Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Golly, reading some of this gets my heart rate up. Who's got pix?
1) Number 5 (The hole cody is going through will stomp you at the right levels, and the hole at the falls is fine if you hit your boof, if not you better have a few ropes ready)

2) Devil's slides (If you thought i was kidding when i said MASSIVE...)

3) Middle Kaweah (AW Pic - not mine)

4) Sorry it's not better Quality

5) Pee your pants type of fun

HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #12
lubbock, Texas
Paddling Since: 2000
Esses on the Tot in Arkansas would be up there on my top 5 list.

Dimple rock rapid/swimmer's rapid on the lower Yough would also rate up there.

rocky_super_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #13
Phoenix, Arizona

There, there's a MF kaweah pic for ya that i didn't get from AW
HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #14
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
That's a toughie. Nothin' like Edge here, but:

5. Hair to Colliseum on the Ottowa: big water haystack fun with some big holes to miss.

4. Everything on the Upper Petawawa, high water: hero lines, technical creeky lines, big boofs, sticky holes. Plus it feels so good after hiking 5K for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dropping the Falls.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	182Click image for larger version

Name:	The Dragon's Tongue.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	183Click image for larger version

Name:	The Second Boof.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	184

3. Gore: Lots'o'lines

2. Z-Gorge, WFCC: sweet rapid zigzagging through the vertical walls with a couple of good moves.

1. Top V on Bluegrass, no stopping in the mellow stuff between the two sets: Clean 15'er to funky 8'ish flake boof to some good creekin' boogy to one bend of mellow before it picks up again with some good holes to toilet bowl move to 10' slide-to-ski jump over 15'er, holes, corner, couple more good drops before the confluence. Warm water. 'Nuff said.

Name:	Estes-Bluegrass 055.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	185Click image for larger version

Name:	Estes-Bluegrass 058.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	186Click image for larger version

Name:	Estes-Bluegrass 065.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	187

Name:	Estes-Bluegrass 068.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	188Click image for larger version

Name:	Estes-Bluegrass 077.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	189

0. Everything I haven't run because there's nothin' like coming around that blind corner and seeing the mayhem below the horizon line you didn't scout. Daniel had it right.

Honorable mentions go to:

Zume Floom-Got me hooked from the age of 4.
#5-Cut my teeth on the endless number of lines you can take through here.

White Granite Gorge on the Salt:Amazing geology to paddle through.
IV+ to sticky hole above 30'er on El Salto: there's nothing like travertine.

Name:	Mexico 244.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	191

Turkey Creek-Some sweet drops in there nobody knows about. Oh, if only it were clean...

Name:	gc_camera-040.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	190

Note: I didn't take the pictures for Gore, Salto, Turkey, the Pet, or WFCC.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #15
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
5 not in order.

1. supermax on north fork south platte, bailey,

2. tunnel gore canyon colo.

3. the main event on bluegrass creek and the feeling of being crushed from being so deep! running bucking bronco blind because your back strap breaks in your agent 6.2 at the s bend right above the scouting eddy. makes it all the more fun!

4. all of the unnamed rapids on deer creek central wyoming, 30ftr

5.the upper run of the shosone cody wy, is pool drop and is clean from the seive down low water micro creeking some good drops! than it gets better with a classic boof at customs!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #16
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Honorable mentions- Walker Ranch- SBC This should be in my top 5. Boof into hall way at 2mph and land at 10mph into a twisting, wall crashing great boof over a huge hole. Also it gave Forrest an awesome beating while I cheered for the hole. On top of that, Forrest tried to walk it before I made him, give er! He's a hard one to swim though.

Oceana- like this pic. Fast, blinding and huge!

Supermax- also like this pic. Can catch 7 eddies and make some nice moves and a great boof.

Gore is a great pic also- alot of lines for sure. Love this rapid

Slideways- great rapid for sure. Love this rapid

Barrell over 8g could be there. fast and twisting with rocks under the water, and not that far under.

5k juicer/ crunch- HUGE! Great rapids

Superslide- Nice very nice.

Helicopter- love the name and the reason for it

So many great drops.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #17
Seattle, Washington
Nice thread topic!

#5 boulder drop, Skykomish. cause it's so good with so many lines at so many levels.

#4 Final Five Canyon, Copper Creek Just a sweet mini gorge with a little of everything, and super scenic. Nobody cleans the headwall, and the eddy of rejection is always entertaining.

#3 Box Drop Top Tye -- so fun, so clean, love the eddy move, and in such a great setting

#2 Double Drop, Truss. Finally learned the secret -- boat scout it. So fun.

#1 Eskimo Pie, GC Elwha. Welcome to the grand -- nice horizon line, sketchy eddy, beat down hole, first significant drop and point of no return.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #18
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
1) Balls to the Wall, Clarks Fork Yellowstone: big, steep, and fast. I ran it at about 600 with overnight gear, techy entrance to 50 yards of pure joy followed by 50 yards of pure mank. I looked back up that drop and felt like I had achieved something major in my kayaking career. Maybe just maybe I ran it because I wasn't up for another portage.

2) Jake's thru Golf Course, NF Payette: Big moves, big water, big fuck up factor. Ran it once clean, and again not so clean. Hit that roll before Taffy.

3)Great Falls of the Potomac, Potamc River: Lots of different lines at lots of different water levels, entry level V to super gnar gnar. After work 25 footers 10 miles from the big city (see the avatar).

4)Crystal Falls, Bottom Moose: a few different lines to choose, intimidating horizon line, little margin for error, tough to style the final 15 footer, big crowds to cheer or jeer you during Moose Fest.

5) Unnamed Gorge, Upper Hokitika, NZ: total commitment, one visible drop at the begining of an unportageable/unscoutable 4 drop gorge. One of those moments when you don't even hear the river because you're so focused on the move. These drops have probably changed from what I paddled in 2002.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #19
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Good stuff, and some very nice photos. Thx.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #20
Nice topic Gar. Damn near impossible for me to choose five, but after much debate, I'll go with the following. I definetly second some of the others.

Double Trouble, Big South, CO - Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Must make big air boof. The higher the level the faster the line.

Entrance Falls, Vallecito, CO - I love the wave train entrance, and the off tilt freefall with a late boof. Usually blind and scary and a wake up. Yet it's a tough one to mention after Adam.

Richochet, Icicle Creek, WA - Fun, multiple moves, big. I see the potential despite only running it once.

A random drop on Bull Lake Creek, WY - The first thing we ran below the Jim Bridger portage. Probably the biggest thing I've ever run. Steep, extremely pushy, scary and powerful 10 foot half way between about 5 big moves. All stacked, no eddies, fast, powerful. Evan blew his skirt.

Jacobs Ladder/Golf Course, NF Payette, ID - It's not a secret that this is one of the greatest drops of all time. It only takes one top to bottom run of the NF to realize why a paddler could move to Boise.

Honorable mentions:
Balls to the Wall, Clark's Fork
Box Drop, Top Tye
Spirit Falls, Little White
Pine Tree Falls, Crystal Gorge
Slots of Fun, Embudo (shit, this probably beats out Richochet. Can't believe I just thought of it. 3.7' left mental scars. Ready to do it again.)
Adrenaline Falls, Lime Creek
Big Timber Falls, Big Timber
Oriental Massage, Yule Creek
the big drop, Upper Upper Cispus

Yeah, a lot of memories. Hard to rank them.

On a side note, I love how after years and years of paddling the quality drops are rarely the biggest verts. Height is good, but there's something magical about powerful, multi-move drops.

Gar, Walker Ranch sucks. WTF? That thing doesn't even make top 10 on the front range.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote