Old 07-13-2005   #1

So, let's set the tone and establish the ethos my brutha. My name's B.I.G.D., which means I schoool and rool the lines for a tool like Chorter, even though he is my partner and one of the best boaters I've run the shit with. The last time I went on a mission with Chorter, which by the way is a reference to a cop who used to bust him for inhaling in Steamboat, on a serious level was Falls Creek. This post isn't a brag, but more of a reminiscence over times past. I was teaching a few classes, when Chorter gave me a call. "I got a 1st D that's there for the taking." I acted disinterested and started talking about the necessity of a kairotic moment. As usual, Chorter went on and on about what a short hike it would be and the glory we would find. In fact, my friend, once again, understated and misunderstood realty. After parking my truck in the Vallecito parking lot, hiking north for four hours straight up hill, we had a few glimpses of the first D. One drop was a 40 footer onto a slab of rock. Another was a 70 foot slide with a MONSTER hole half way down. Yet another was a double drop of about 80 feet with a log lodged diagonally at the key move. We, being Chorter, Sward (who pussed out and didn't run anything significant, bless his fatherly soul, and I) decided to put in below the 80 footer. Of course, I had to lead the entire 1st D. Chorter was whimpering behind, mumbling about getting back to his girlfriend and baking fajitas with a deluctible golden crust which melted ever so soothingly on the tip of the tongue, while Sward ran along the bank yelping haikus of encouragement. Three gnarly hours later, when I finally got to the bridge by the Vallecito trail where Falls Creek flows, and Chorter and Sward dragged themselves and their dirt caked kayaks to the take out, I felt sorry for these two comrades and picked up their boats, carrying them to my truck. We drove to Chorter's townhouse where he borrowed his girlfriend's apron and set the fajitas to baking while Sward created ephemeral images of hearts and flowers.

Chorter, I miss you bro. Have fun in Cali. Give the gang a call and hit up Golden, the dice, and 49er.
B.I.G.D. is offline   Reply With Quote