Old 08-02-2006   #1
Yellowstone area

I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone with the fam. Its kind of like disney land this time of year, but I was amazed with how much water is in that area. The only thing I got to paddle was the Snake, but I heard the Gros Ventre and Greys have earlier in the season are pretty good also. Does anyone have any beta on those rivers?

We hiked up cascade canyon also in Teton National Park. The bottom half mile of Cascade creek below the big falls is incredible. It flows right along side the Grand Teton and it has the bluest water. Its too steep for me. Has anyone ever run it? You would definitly have an audience as there were quite a few peeps on the trail.

As far as I understand it you can paddle in Teton Park, but not in Yellowstone. The reason I say this is we also did a flat water raft float on the Snake through Teton National Park. If anyone likes to canoe or would like a super mellow ultra scenic raft trip with world class fishing this would be an excellent choice. You could even do it as an overnighter. You have to get a permit. Its about $12 per day. I would think that in late September you would have the river almost to yourself.

I know this has been posted here a bunch, but it really does suck that Yellowstone doesn't allow paddling. All I could think about when I looked down at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was how cool it would be to put in right at the base of the lower falls (300 feet). I think it was still really high for this time of year and there is a massive hole about a half mile below the falls that looked very meaty at this level through the binoculars, but other then that it looked awesome.

Seems like the Yellowstone river is always the one that gets talked about when the ban on boating is mentioned, but other incredible rivers that are off limits that looked like they would have great potential were the Lewis, Fire Hole River, Tower Creek, Crawfish Creek and Lupine Creek. These rivers have potential for all types of boating. Everything from flat water to shit bird crazy.

Its definitly a delicate situation. On one hand you have all these great rivers and creeks that could be run by responsible parties with very little impact to the park. On the other hand if they just opened it up to any yahoo you might have an ass load of bozos floating kmart rafts that are going to need rescuing. In addition the case of schlitz they were drinking and their raft will probably be left in the river for all to enjoy.

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #2
Check out this falls, Collanade Falls, Virgin, clean 70 footer. Yellowstone Liberation Army lives!

Lots of pictures here:

Buy this book if you want to charge in YNP

YLA is here to stay[/url]

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #3
whatever pays the bills
NPS should lottery it with one permit per week, max of 4 people and $250 a day in usage fees per baoter, as a starting point. Then all those pesos could go to something like turning the park into one giant Small World ride, with the song.
idbugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #4
I would never pay those bastards $250/day. The money Yellowstone takes in does not go to Yellowstone. It goes to a general fund in DC and Yellowstone gets an allowance every year. So likely your money is going to bomb innocent people in Iraq. Besides poaching is fun.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote