Old 06-29-2006   #11

American Whitewater screwed up royally on their proposal. They asked for boating on the Lamar which is flatwater through what people call the yellowstone serenghetti. It is packed with tourists. It would be a total spectacle and ridiculous to have kayakers on that stretch. AW asked for way too much, and asked to open runs which would'nt be open even if they allowed boating throughout the park.

The only classic run is the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone which is one of the best class V stretches in the country. It is also nowhere near any roads. A must do. The Grand Canyon is pretty sweet, 0.5 miles of killer drops after the falls then mostly class III and one more good long V. A big mission though. There are other sweet waterfall creeks like the Firehole and others. The Black Canyon is the only stretch AW should have concentrated on. Montana Surf has good Black Canyon and Grand Canyon descriptions. You definately have to give AW props for trying. I just wonder if their so stuck in the East Infection mentality that they don't really know what is happening out west. My Rockie Mountains have an East Infection.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #12
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
AW is a *network* made up of representatives who work from all across the country on behalf of their constituencies in those regions. Nice work stiking a new unnecessarily divisive tone a la (pick a region) vs. (pick another region) in this thread. There's plenty of that on other threads active right now too. Neato.

The steep sections of the Lamar would in fact be great/classic paddling & I would love to have the opportunity to one day paddle that, even if it means vacating the creek before it goes to braided channels & wildlife habitat. But I'm originally from the east coast, so please benefit from my tax dollars & disregard my opinion as "infection".

The Lewis would also be an amazing run to have opened up. Firehole, Beckler, Falls ..

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #13
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
cascades of the firehole is my personal favorite, but theres runnable falls a dime a dozen in there
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #14
Sorry about offending you with the East Infection part Todd G. Just gotta use every opportunity to say that cause it rolls off the tongue so well. We should make the Yellowstone happen though. All they really need to open is the Black Canyon though. I have done the Grand Canyon twice and its not all that. The Black Canyon rules. As far as the myriad of backcountry waterfalls, those are fairly easily poached if you're careful and don't hike on trails. Firehole is good but you have to be extremely stealth. Falls Ck down south east is super sick and a fairly easy poach. There is a fun slide you can run into falls ck as well that is just barely in the park.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #15
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
No worries man .. just that in the last couple weeks there HAS been an infection around here .. an infection of anonymous jonny-come-latelies on this forum who seemingly signed up to bring the collective quality of what goes on here down a couple notches. .. & i didn't want this thread to go down that same cliche'd path.

E-Ro & I did the Falls a couple yrs back, putting in on Cascade Cr (i think that's the name .. same creek with the cool longass slide & other stuff right to the confluence of the Falls) .. the run woulda been better with about twice as much water & half the length .. miles & miles of oxbows in amazing scenery before we finally got to the confl of the beckler where it gets good again. Some big drops up in there too.

Black Canyon is the one though ..
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #16
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
OMG!!! - Lock this thread! its getting too outta hand!!! What if tha AUTHORITIES were to read this??!!! Authority always wins!!!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #17
photo editor

okay everyone you're busted. no doubt the feds have picked up on this thread.

seriously, thanks for the info. it gives me some places to start. i'll check around and pick up a copy of montana surf. i'd still like to talk to someone, off the record of course, who has done it. back when i lived in montana (late 70's) there were boaters in bozeman making the run. no doubt it's only gotten tougher.

again thanks,

dkrakel is offline   Reply With Quote