Old 11-25-2004   #1
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Year-Round boating locations?

Ok, lets be honest. CO just isn't cutting it. I love it and grew up here, but in the next few years I need to find a year round boating location where I can work during the nights and kayak class V during the days. Places that immediately come to mind are the Pac NW and Asheville. Comments about either of these two? I've also heard people talk about Idaho, but I thought it had a snow melt summer season like CO? How about northern Cali? I'd also love to hear about locations outside of the US - FU GW. Is New Zealand year round? I know there are those who commute between Pucon, Fayetteville, and Durango, but I think I'd prefer a place to call home. Any suggestions?

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004   #2

Asheville is an awesome little town I would call it the boulder of north carolina with less extreme leftists. Plenty of culture there tons of boating NOC is nearby with all its benefits. Good luck

dzader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004   #3
dropzone, Colorado
Hey bro, are you up in Keystone now? I am around for a couple days, then back to the right coast. About NZ - it could be year round if you live on the North Island. A few good runs up there (the wairoa) are dam release and the others run whenever it rains. On the south island, murchison has fairly continuous year round boating, but it is all II-IV. The west coast south island (V-V+) season is in the spring / summer + rain, not year round, but you could always live in hokitika durin g the season then go back north.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Oregon or Washington is a great place for year round boating. I lived in Eugene for a short period of time during the winter. The boating is good...mostly playboating near Eugene. But you can drive to good creeks. The economy in Eugene is worthless!!! Jobs are very hard to get. I have a friend in Seattle and he absolutely loves it. He is a full on creeker and has plenty of stuff to run near him. He says in the winter if a storm rolls in and its to cold he just goes skiing and kayaks a couple of days later. Jobs are probably easier to come by up there.

Good Luck...
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004   #5
Hey Alex, i am moving out to ashville in march. i here your not too far away send me an email with all your info and i will give you a call. later

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004   #6
Asheville is as good as I know of.

Hey, I live just south of Asheville now(Brevard). It is good to go generally. Compared to colorado it is great for boating(summers excepted). It is a pretty fun town centrally located for anywhere in the southeast. Most regions are about an 45 to an hour away. Green is about 50 minutes and runs pretty much year round. It is the class V run that runs alll the time. Others depend solely on rain. There are many small towns around Asheville that are just as nice as the city, just depends on what your looking for. Jobs are kinda hard to find but doable. Cheapish housing. About September through November is hurricane and rain. January through Mayish is more rain. Summers just depend but is a good time to travel( like back to Colorado). The green is an easy way to hook up with boaters pretty fast. There are many good boating towns out there, I will probably go NW for my second choice. Chatanooga, Tn is another good one, similar to asheville without the green but has as many other runs as asheville. Email me if you want to boat sometime. I will be around till end of spring sometime and then back somewhere in the southeast in the fall. Russell
russllmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004   #7
Yeah, Nor. California has good year round boating too. Especially Arcata. And when there's no rain, theres always ocean surf.

Definitely would say NZ is year round... there's lots of stuff that runs winter on the nortwestern South Island too, and by ChCh. The Hoki scene does run in the winter but its usually real cold and too high from what i've been told).
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004   #8
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Recently at Tallulah I had the great opportunity to speak with a well known old school boater. I asked him the same question. He didn't even have to think about his answer, which was Asheville, NC and Seattle, WA. Evidently, Seattle's plentiful precipitation provides for year-round, world class boating, within a short distance of the city, although a bit cold.
Blumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004   #9
Northwest has it all!

I grew up in Colorado and learned to boat there. I now live in Seattle, and it has everything!!! Boating all year round. I mean absolutely any kind of boating you want 365 days with 4 hours drive. The only thing you will miss is the sun. It is suprisingly sunning in seattle, but all the rivers are in deep forested gorges with no sun. Even in the summer people are in drysuits, but when sept rolls around and colorado is checking the gore gauge and your are trying to decide on the countless option in BC you'll be glad. And unlike Ashville, there is some of the best skiing in the world (also year round).

Call me when you move up here
ShaneRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004   #10
Fayetteville, WV

If making $$ isn't your concern, then winter in Fayetteville. I went to the dries put in waves yesterday, and had a line of 1 person. The creeking is good all winter, as is the play...very rarely is it TOO cold to paddle, and when it is, go to Snowshoe, or a hike. Work here is almost non-existant in the winter, unless you want to work construction, and have an "in" with someone local. Also, supply your own women please....our supply is depleted enough. But, rent is cheap, (I pay $225/mo) and expenses are low....

Brian J
going to the dries in 15 mins....

wetvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote