Old 11-28-2004   #11
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Sounds like WA is the place to be. I was there last winter and got on top tye, tumwater and Icicle. The job market seems better there than any of the other suggestions. Plus I love skiing - I'll see you in 2008 after I've fullfilled commitments here!

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #12
How can there be a discussion about year round boating with no mention of Portland, OR? It's got Seattle beat by a long shot. Some may disagree, so let's take a look:
SEATTLE: negatives: A big ass city with an absolute nightmare traffic jam, day in and day out. super expensive rent. lame close-in winter time paddling (there are a few exceptions).
positives: Robe Canyon! (there's the exception) and it's still an hour away with no traffic. You're close to the Olympic Peninsula, which offers lots of great winter boating, but again, you've got to be willing to drive.
The spring and summer, when IT becomes MECCA. But we're talking about year-round right?
PORTLAND: wait a minute....I just figured it out. The reason nobody mentioned P-town on this thread is because there are enough Colorodo paddlers out there already who realized that boating only two months a year SUCKED!
unfortunately now they know, and the locals definitely know that the play spots are all getting crowded and you might even see another group on some of the world's most incredible creeks, where a few years ago that was damn near impossible. So let it be known, I never told you anything. Portland sucks!

wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Oregon boating in the winter is good! When I was in Eugene I never seemed to have problems with lines at the local playspots except when Lake Creek was running. There always seemed to be something to do. My worst case scenario was having to play on the Willamette in downtown. Which is still fun. The McKenzie at 4.9ft has an UNBELIEVABLE wave!!! I never got to venture into the creeks but I know they are incredible.

DOWNFALL TO OREGON---The economy is horrible! Maybe it has improved in the past two years but when i was there I was competing with 15 other people for a gas pump attendant position. LAME!!

SEATTLE---Let's not forget about Skook!!!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #14
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Joe, This Southeast is the place to be for boating. You already know that. The down side is I know nurses that live in Ashevegas and they don't make all that much although the cost of living there is HIGH. The place to live and work is Chattanooga. Very central location and good pay. Has a CO feel (add humidity). I can hook you up with a bunch of kayakers in the medical field out there. WA is cool but it's just that cool. Lot's of boating with a PFD only in the Southeast. Horsepasture, Linville, The Green, Little River Canyon, Chick Cain..........Overflow and on on on on. BTW don't listen to Blumpkin until he gives you the JABA.

Blumpkin are you paddling? There's a ton of snow out here. 112% of average snow pack!!!!!!! Post a picture of JABA the Hut!!
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #15
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
No, no JABA for you! Haven't paddled since Tallulah but I'll be running the Upper Yough, Upper and Lower Blackwater, and Lower Big Sandy in the next month or so. So, to stay on topic, there is also year-round boating if you live in the DC area, although not as plentiful and somewhat rain dependent, except Great Falls. The economy is booming but the traffic is an absolute debacle. I hear there's good year-round boating in Fargo, ND.
Blumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #16
whistler bc would be a good place to live. you can boat exceptional class V from march to november, then ski whistler/blackcomb when its cold. i was there in march and had several choices of sick creeks to run that were flowing well. some stuff was already too high. we did the ashlu and it was one of the best runs i've done. and it wasn't very cold either. i've had colder days in may in colorado.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #17
I've heard NZ is great but I looked into it and it's a bitch to move there. The government keeps immigration to a minimum and as far as visas go anything over 6 months is next to impossible.
kentboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #18
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Joe, NZ has a shortage of nurses (and vets). THey'll let you in for sure. What do you say I meet you there in 2 years? Did you get that phone messgae about the paddle. Merry Christmas. Matt
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #19
Vancouver is really nice, eh. Lots of rain-fed boating that goes through the winter. When things get a bit chilly, you can always head a few hours south and catch some peninsula runs like the Big Q or Elkhorn.
Work can be a bit of a bitch and if you do find it taxes can put the strain on you (they are somewhere around the highest in the world)
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #20
Coming from the SouthEast, Asheville's pretty sweet. Another unknown option is Richmond, VA. Paddling on the James is pretty sweet year-round. The James goes right through the middle of down-town. Always a playspot. And when the water gets high (70-80,000 CFS), there's holes that'll eat you alive. Super easy daily paddling with a 9-5 job. Also close to DC & Great Falls. Everything else is a little bit of a drive, but not too far. Gauley's only about 5 or less hours away. But if you're looking for a super easy place to live with a good boating community, and super easy daily paddling and not having to deal with that much traffic, Richmond could be an option. You can also paddle at night, due to the lights of the city reflecting off the river... pretty cool. Also, lots of jobs that are easy to find and get.