Old 06-18-2007   #1
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Ye ol' timers an men of the days of yore

Gore @ 3700. Sounds pretty nifty. Have any of you hair boaters done this at that level or beyond? Is it good to go? Eddys/scouting? Anyone want to do this? I hear pyrite becomes a female dog in heat around this level.

P.S. I meant for the title of the post to be "men and wenches of the days of yore" so as to be politically correct. Sorry.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
my guess is insane

probably in sane you could strap a bike to your creeker so you can ride your bike out when you get to scared

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #3
Been in there at 2700.

Gore cleans up a lot with a Green tounge down the left (the meat line).

Pyrite is the scary one. Huge river-wide hole. No eddying out on the left. You just have to pound through it on the right with momentum.

Tunnel isn't bad on the far left.

Still plenty of eddies though.

RCRE is trying to rally a group leaving the 'Boat at four. 3700--Everyone is biting their nails. If the group gets on it, should be at takeout by 5:15-5:30.
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #4
Tim Kennedy
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Not me personally, but...

My personal top end, high water Gore run was at 2800cfs. Everything used to go at those levels (a "creek sneak" opened up on the far left at Pyrite). I haven't been in there higher, but I think I can guestimate what you might find.

I know than Chan Zwanzig, Charlie Ebel, Billy Mattison and others paddled it in the 5000 to 6000 cfs range sometime between '95 and '98. As well as, Jamie Simon and the Wavesport crew ran it at some heinously high level around then as well. I heard tales of massive wave trains in the first rapid ("Stinkin' Beaver), the pool below Fisherman's Nightmare/Applesauce, and even some upstream wavetrains in the eddy on river left above Tunnel.

Above 3000 cfs, most people opt to walk Gore Rapid down to below Pyrite. It becomes one long monster of a rapid ending in a river wide hole at Pyrite. Jamie Simon got offline /upside down in Gore and ended up running through the hole in Pyrite. After a severe thrashing and losing her helmet, she ended up getting worked in the river left eddy/lateral coming off of the cliff wall below Pyrite and went for a swim. I imagine it was fairly unpleasant.

I've heard a second hand report that the left line in Gore was not good to go at 2000 cfs this season, due to the woodpile on the left of the "meat line" entrance rock. That woodpile has altered the flow there, making the boof on the left a no-go at higher levels. The old 2000 cfs plus line was to boof over the top of that rock and then move right for Scissors and then back to the left for the "sneak" at Pyrite. Gilligan's, Decision, and the rock behind Decision make a nasty three hole combo in the middle. Right of the sneak makes a nasty sieve/slot above 2500.

I imagine that everything other than Gore through Pyrite is runnable. Watch out for the large holes in the rapid between Tunnel and Toilet Bowl (Raceline Rapid). Kirschbaum's becomes massive in the middle. Left is probably a good choice.

If you go, have fun. Take photos/video.
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #5
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
kirschbaum is burly

It was back in '85 probably, but at 2500cfs I recall everything was good excitement. Though, it seems like Kirschbaum was the wildest part of all of it.
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #6
Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Please go there, do it and get footage. Wish I had my crap together to go at the drop of a dime...

Blows my mind to hear people speak of the river at 6-9K.. and beta to use!! Amazing.

Anyone think it will ever run that big again?

raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #7
Anyone else down? We've got two for-sures from the boat. Would like to have at least three in the canyon. Meet at the takeout today 7/19, around 5:15?
Old 06-19-2007   #8
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 01
I was there yesterday with a crew of 3. Every rapid got run, including a meat line option if there was one. Its very big, but there are lines and it goes. We had a blast and I'm loving Gore above 2K these days.

There was a veritable flotilla of wood yesterday floating into the canyon - many trees up to 30 feet long.

Currently, there is a dangerous log protruding from river left just below scissors. It is in a place where you would kayak if you exited Gore out of control and couldn't make it to river right, and is backed up by a trashy and big hole. If you elect to run Gore, as we did, please take this wood into your plan for the rapid.

Be safe out there!

Kirschbaum's is the shit at these levels!!!!!
Whitewater Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #9
2800 yesterday and 4,000 today. Anyone? C'mon. Fire it up. Let's do it. Countdown........
Old 06-19-2007   #10
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Ran it at about 2900 I think it was back in 97/8. Necky Jive playboat. A little pushy, hold on!

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote