Old 05-17-2012   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
thanks for the input, think we'll stick with the 16 footers and leave the dutch oven at home! I'll take some photos and post a thread about our trip when we get back

wagonblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yampa Low Water

You'll be Otay Panky. Really - - I've seen it high and low and on the low trip (2500) it was very doable. WS was simple, just pull around the rocks. Lots of time. Probably the rockiest rapid was SOB down in Split Mt. Very nice trip too. Take the dutch ovens!

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #13
CRG, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1978
experience with open canoes? Our scheduled trip early/mid June looks to put us around that 1000-1500 csf mark and obviously dropping. Debating whether to slog through with lightly loaded 13 -14 ft rafts vs open canoes (and a few duckys but I don't find duckys particularly enjoyable on a long trip)....that's fully loaded tandem canoes not playboats with extra flotation. How would the green/split mountain section be in open canoes? Lining or sneak options available? With low water and a lot of flatwater to cover an open canoe is a lot more elegant mode of travel but not if we spend all our time swamped and pinned.
runnerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
I've been through Split Mtn. twice. First at 7K and waves were pretty big! Next time about 2200 and I didn't even know we had gone through Moonshine (based on memory of it). I don't recall anything at the latter level that would present a problem to experienced canoers, but I was not in a canoe, so you have to take this for what it's worth. I was in one of those inelegant duckies! So take this in the context of what you will hear from others in response. (I can't speak to the contrast with lightly loaded rafts; I don't think width is the issue, but I could be wrong.)
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #15
Jenks, Oklahoma
Yampa and even Green down to Split Mountain (my opinion for what it is worth) should be do able for reasonably loaded canoes at the current levels of the Yampa.

Split Mountain tho is gonna depend on how much water the Green has coming down.

Lowest I have done Yampa is around 3,000 cfs maybe a bit less and tandem canoes should have handled that pretty well. Even if you did fill up the canoe with water, reasonably competent boaters could recover after a swim and a bit of help. The Green on that trip bumped up the flow to around 5,000 cfs more or less. I remember Split Mountain rapids having some pretty big whoop de do wave trains at that level. Not a problem in any raft, ducky or kayak but (again my opinion ) in a loaded tandem canoe some long swims would be in order just from wave swamping over and into the tandem canoes.

You might consider a couple gear boat rafts for the heavy gear and lightly load the canoes with mostly personal gear dry bags that would easily float. My take on lining canoes in Split Mt is gonna be pretty sketchy if even possible on some drops. Split Mt is pretty big and wide normally but again I have not seen it lower than 5,000 cfs or so.

In any event, doing that float in a canoe would be a hoot if weather was nice and warm.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #16
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
per link, 6K out of flaming gorge starting today through end of prediction period at end of this month (May). That will make one big difference at Split Mountain.
CBRFC Conditions Map

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote