Old 03-18-2015   #1
North Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2012
Yampa Cross Mountain Gorge Permitted?

I've been looking around and reading up on the Cross Mountain Gorge stretch of the Yampa. My buddies and I are thinking of running it this coming weekend. I know the Yampa is permitted all through Dinosaur National Monument. Is it permitted through the Cross Mountain Gorge stretch? Also can anyone give me any 1st person information on what to expect at around 1000 CFS? Thanks so much for any information!

Eyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
No permit, you take out above the permitted section. Haven't done it lower than 1,800 but know it goes fine. Expect class 4, couple of bad places to swim but very manageable.

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #3
carbondale/BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Cross mountain is a super fun stretch of whitewater. @1000cfs it's fun boulder garden type class 4 with good desert scenery. It's only about 4 miles long and the shuttle is pretty quick so be prepared to do multiple laps. Be aware that the rocks down there can be sharp. I hit what looked to be a fun boof and landed on a rock that put a good size hole in my boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
pitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #4
North Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2012
Wow thank you so much for the quick responses. You guys are great!
Eyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #5
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Cross is in. Now. Good idea to head there this weekend.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09251000 YAMPA RIVER NEAR MAYBELL, CO

Desirable flows are 900 - 3500 cfs. Unrestricted by dams or diversions, the Yampa stakes out a vicious bell curve of flow. Often this range is run-through in less than a week on the way up, two weeks on the way down. In between there are heinous big-water things happening in there that I never need to have carnal knowledge of.

The run is about 5 miles long, taking just shy of two hours. Many parties get 3 or 4 laps in a weekend visit.

The opening rapid is Osterizer (IV) - a keeper hole at higher flows is responsible for this spot's infamy, but it is not so bad in the recommended range. A short stretch of III+ boogie water leads to a calm spot where you scout Snake Pit (IV) on river left. This is the crux of the run, you go from scraping the right hand shore to ferrying furiously left to avoid a series of boulders and sieves. The exit wave is mohawk shaped (sweet). Another rapid of note is Pourover City (III+), where an unlikely move against the left wall spins one right into place for a dance with several house sized boulders. The rest of the run is scenic class III weaving through boulders.

Cross Mountain Gorge tends to have warmer water than other places in Colorado at any given date due to the placid, unshaded nature of the Yampa for close to 100 miles upstream. Temperature is available on the gauge.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #6
Gillette, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2003
Flew low over it a few hours ago on the way to Vernal. It was definitely running good and an isolated thunderstorm was putting down some decent rain just upstream. Enjoy!
Slowmococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #7
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Come on BmfnL, lets get back in there at 5K. I want another go at snake pit.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote