Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-21-2007   #1
www.worldkayak.com is launched! Join and become an AW Member automatically!

I can't tell you how excited I am to finally be launching WorldKayak.com !

The goal is simple: Improve the paddling communities we are all part of. How? By creating a singular place for people to go to both post and find out what is going on in their communities.

Some highlights:

1. National and Community Calendars
the National Calendar shows all events, activities, etc. that have been posted to all of the community calendars so you can find something to do no matter where you bring your kayak!
the community calendar allows you to find out what is going on in any local region, like your own! this way you don't find out after the fact that there was a video premier, a rolling class, a river trip, or a party for paddlers! this is a community calendar, meaning that YOU can add your own events, trips, etc. to share with others so they don't miss it!

2. River Description Wikis: Yes, a Wiki, like a blog, except it is a growning living blog where you can edit, add, or change the river descriptions as you see fit. This means that you simply log on and if you don't see enough information on a rapid, you can add your own take on it! this includes photos, etc.

3. personal Blogs- Yes, like a "my space" everything you do can be seen by others in one place. This means that you can blog and share photos, video, and your stories and anyone can see them, and you'll have your own personal Kayaker Space to share with others. In the first few days we have already had dozens of blogs posted and it is just starting!

4. A local Ambassador! yes, you have a local ambassador, someone who cares about YOUR LOCAL community! IF your community has a page alread, then you have someone hard at work helping you and the other paddlers in your area become more informed and entertained! If you WANT to be an ambassador, we applaud you and welcome you, as long as you are prepared to roll up your sleeves and dig in and help get your site off the ground!

Want to participate but not be an ambassador? Sweet, that is truly what this site is for and we'll reward you for it if you get started quickly!

Sign up as a member of the World Kayak community and we'll send you a new membership for American Whitewater, or we'll renew you from the time your's expires for another year! Jackson Kayak has already purchased 300 memberships at full price from AW ($10,500) to give out, so don't worry about it being delayed! We are also giving out our Ambassadors an AW membership.

We are also going to ship out the new 2007 "Action Jackson" DVD to any new members for the remainder of 2007!

If you are not a Jackson Kayak fan or work with another brand or whatever, don't stress, we'll be bringing in fun prizes and other offers from any manufacturer that wants to participate!

Look for a "blog or river wiki contest" for "best of show" and heavy hitters (the most activity of any blogger). We'll give away monthly prizes!!!

Yes, this is a big undertaking and I want to thank all Ambassadors that have worked so hard on their region!

Most of all i want to thank James McBeathe and Colin Kemp for their incredible efforts to make this a reality!

EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Okay, pretty sweet site. But I couldn't find a place to ask questions/contact us link. So, I'll ask a few questions here:

How do I find out who my ambassador is?

How do I enter my organization in the "Regional Organizations" list?

Can I customize it to show certain things when I log on?

Is there a place to create a more detailed profile? Can I change my password?

I looked for all of these and couldn't find them. The answers may be in there but if they are, they're not easy and intuitive to find. I realize this is just starting up and you probably just haven't gotten to these things yet, but I figured if I didn't ask them, some one else would. Along those lines, if there is still a bunch of work to be done, it would be cool if there was a timeline of what's being done when on the site so we know when to expect in and when we can come check it out.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #3
Or here's a thought, controversial and radical as it might seem:
Spend the best $35 (or more) dollars of your life and join AW, I hope their new Colorado emphasis is as effective as it has been in Cali and elsewhere. If you're a big manfacturer or lucky individual then put your $10k or whatever you can afford in there too, good on you!. Then when you see some lacking stream beta or want to put your new gnarly pics out there, join the AW streamteam, volunteer your time, and add that information to AW's site too. In fact volunteer for anything that AW needs that you feel you're up for, there's no better cause for US kayakers and there is no thinly disguised commercial play in the back ground (Eddyflower et al take note, this isn't just a rant on World Kayak).
Our kayak community is small by any standards, it can not sustain more than a few websites at most and there are definately NO big dollars to be made by diluting the existing sites any further. AW should be our rallying point, and if its not exactly what you need then I say give your time to make it what we need because in the long run we all win that way.
ion_berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #4
truckee, California
Right-on...agree with you one hundred percent. It seems EJ is trying to re-create something that already exists (The American Whitewater Site), but for commercial gain. AW is a non-profit that for years has done an immense amount of work for our sport. Why reinvent the wheel when all we have to do is make the existing wheel better?
Mrs.Choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #5
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Yes. You must be right.
Now that I'm a member of worldkayak.com I can't possibly have anything to do with the AW website or Mtn.Buzz. It's impossible to be a member of more than one online kayak community. It's just not allowed. Hell, while we're at it, we shouldn't be on the Buzz. We're taking valuable time away from the AW site.

And am I the only one missing the commercial gain for Jackson? There's no Jackson ads. No charge to join the site. And they just threw down $10k for new memberships in AW for people. Please point out the downside of this.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #6
Originally Posted by acetomato View Post
Yes. You must be right.
Now that I'm a member of worldkayak.com I can't possibly have anything to do with the AW website or Mtn.Buzz. It's impossible to be a member of more than one online kayak community. It's just not allowed. Hell, while we're at it, we shouldn't be on the Buzz. We're taking valuable time away from the AW site.

And am I the only one missing the commercial gain for Jackson? There's no Jackson ads. No charge to join the site. And they just threw down $10k for new memberships in AW for people. Please point out the downside of this.
No doubt it would be very suprising to see an advertisment on day one on any new website, to be able to charge any reasonable money for advertising you need to first have traffic to your site, and that comes through having content that draws said traffic. Not that advertising is the only way to make dollars from internet property. Here's an interesting analysis of the value of blogs based off the first significant blog purchase in the industry. But you can be satisfied that as soon as you sign up then you will get your first piece of junk mail through the post, a Jackson DVD. However you would be wrong in thinking I posted originally because I wanted to rant at Jackson above anyone else. I posted because I am genuinely concerned about AW, its finances, its membership and the multitude of challenges that lie ahead for it in the future as the critical spearhead of river advocacy for our benefit. AW's ability to tackle issues for our benefit is very simply controlled by 2 things, the availability of dollars and the availability of volunteers. The more tangable and visible AW and its benefits are to our community, the more it gets of both. Its common sense I hope to anyone that the value of beta is severely diluted when its spread incompletely across 20+ websites as it increasingly is. If you had to look in 20 dictionaries to find the definition of the word you were curious about, how frustrating and worthless would that be? Thus thats where I put my hours in, showcasing and writing up rivers on AW in the hope it brings people, mouse clicks and ultimately dollars to AW.

I would hope I don't have to justify to any of the Buzz's highly entertaining community why any of us should not be able to find at least $35 a year out of our OWN pockets for AW.
ion_berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #7

I peed in your pool. Yayyyyy!
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #8
I read this saying "What the Hell?" too. Indeed. Support the Colorado Whitewater fighting for your rights on the rivers here. Kudos to the legal eagle volunteers for keeping an eye on the Legislators wanting to take our float rights away and regulate flows. Moreover, supporting American Whitewater keeps an eye nation wide on those rights. Kudos to Mountain Buzz and all of our retailors here. Patronize the locals.

I don't know EJ, nor would I buy one of his boats, nor will I be joining World Kayak whatever the hell it is.

davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #9
The site is cool, and you can promote the sport with the blog. It will also give paddlers more beta, stories, and general entertaining content to view online.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EJ is not promoting this as a replacement for AW. AW is a great organization. World Kayak is a technology. And why not use it, I started a blog today and plan to continue it.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #10
Silverthorne, Colorado
Generally it is considered a good thing for the growth of a sport or industry when any new outlet for information is added to the mix. The growth of kayaking encourages the improvement of equipment and gear we use. Unless one is suggesting that kayaking gear is good enough now and you want the numbers who participate to stay relatively small (a reasonable point for a debate I guess), it seems odd to me to complain about free enterprise moving forward and attempting to expand the realm of this recreational activity.
Even if there are profit motivations, how does that differ from the motivations of Mountain Buzz and Boater Talk?
To suggest EJ has no real concern for boaters or dedication to the kayaking world would be quite a bit silly I think.
And despite the admirable desire for everyone to fork over a few dollars on their own to AW, $10,500 is not an insignificant amount in my view and it most definitely represents more than what would have come from the 300 people the donations are made for. It is an impossibility that all of those 300 people would have joined AW on their own.
And once on board, will not a few of them continue to be members?
Therefore possibly helping out for years to come, even beyond the initial $10,500.
Even if that donation is viewed as a loss leader for World Kayak/EJ/Jackson Kayak, still sounds like a pretty nice way to do business to me.

Just a pointless reply from a guy who usually only likes to post about specific practical & helpful kayaking stuff. But I couldn't resist hammering something out on this topic while I sit here eating dinner.

SavageSnow.com - Home of the Internet's Only (so far) Photo/Video Kayaking Progression Journal documenting Day 1 as an Absolute Beginner all the way to Advanced Big Water Paddler.
Savage A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote