Old 06-13-2010   #121
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
You are a firefighter? Maybe you are one of the good guys.
it pains me deeply to say this, but he is a good guy that knows his shit, more so than most of us on here.
mike c(catura)

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #122
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Maybe all this is ranting for ranting sake....

However how about some of you locals that feel qualified in SWR try to set up some kind of constructive forum with the local FD and search and rescue teams and work out a better policy. I am pretty sure that in the front range there are maybe even a few SWR instructors. One person suggested that the FD and SAR are well set up for extraction and body recovery which is critcal in many situations. Where as kayakers and raftguides have the on river skill and water reading abilities for other critical situations. Maybe a better situation can be set up where the FD actually callls on rafting companies to assist them in recovery. In towns like BV and Salida it seems that the lines are quite clear and people know their roles. I am sure much of the things are just unwritten and un-discussed policies. However in Boulder and Golden they probably need to be discussed.

Finally I imagine that FD and SAR teams are trained by organizations other than the ACA and maybe taught to avoid trying to make judgement calls on weather a raftguide or kayaker that shows up is actually quailified to do what they are suggesting.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/RODDAP%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]In the end we are actually on the same team and want the same things. We want people to be safe. Otherwise Its kind of like a soccer game with a bunch of six year olds. All of them stealing the ball from their own team.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #123
Originally Posted by benrodda View Post
Maybe all this is ranting for ranting sake....

However how about some of you locals that feel qualified in SWR try to set up some kind of constructive forum with the local FD and search and rescue teams and work out a better policy.
I agree.I'm meeting with a couple F.D. veterans Tues.
GagePLoungin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #124
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
some thoughts

Some things that I have taken from this:
1. BOATERS! SUPPORT YOUR BREATHEREN!!! Call the sherrif and fill his e-mail inbox with letters of dissapproval and let that sherrif know he is an ASSHOLE! (phone 303-679-2376 or by email dkrueger@clearcreeksheriff)

2. This is not the first time the newspaper has gotten a story wrong that had to do with whitewater boaters. Anyone remember that story I posted on here a couple months ago that was on the front page of the wall street journal talking about fisherman/boater conflicts on taylor canyon? yeah wtf, right? -----------------------------> If you have some local connection (friend, neighbor, bro-brah) that works for the news company - fill them in and help get accurate, unbiased news to the people. I read a couple of articles that sounded absolutely ridiculous (the father was fearful fo the daughters life while she was sitting on the other side of the river? Were there BEARS or something????)

3. If you feel like you could do it better, you should get involved locally. I know there are lots of people on here that are in the "first responder" job category, and for this I commend you. For those of you that aren't, try to volunteer with your local department and share your knowledge so that more people can be educated. If nothing else, it will provide you with more experience, practice, and knowledge for you while you're out enjoying the hills.

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #125
we should have a beer summit!!!

Lawson Whitewater Park?

Tuesday??? bring your plastic and rubber of all sorts!!??

I've been dieing to flat spin the shredder or mini-me, and get worked in my kayak a bit!!!!

maybe a run down lawson?

anyone? Bueller?

either way I plan to spend most of the day on the creek!!
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #126
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Brett, I'm back in CCC by 4ish, always down for a run!!
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #127
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Um... actually I was complaining about the attacking of everyone by everyone. Completely not constructive, kinda like your O.P. You find it interesting that I wait until I find out more about the situation before I reprimand? Should I have posted my assumptions blindly the 1st day of the incident? It is actually you proving my point sucka. Welcome to the Buzz!

By the way I work with some of these people on both ends of the mess year round. Of course they (river people, the cops the swiftwater team, the ambulance crews)are all good people, they do things for the good of others. It's hard to beat that. My only interest is making sure this doesn't happen again and to improve the efficiency of the raft guides and county EMS working together on rescues.
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #128
Buena Vista/Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Update on CC arrest

Hi all,

Just a quick update. Once again, thanks so much to everyone who has supported us. We have gotten so many emails and calls about this.

A couple things: Not that it really matters, but Ryan's boat was not the one that missed the takeout or flipped. He was assisting in the situation. Also, Ryan is a 10-year raft guide and 16-year kayaker and is our training manager at our Idaho Springs/Clear Creek Outpost.

The sheriff finally called this afternoon and agreed to meet with everyone involved. This is all we have been asking for. The hope, of course, is to have the charges dropped, but also to dissect the events and improve communication between parties so that we do not face a situation like this again.

We will keep you posted on whether charges get dropped!

You can see more discussion of this and some clarification of details on our facebook page at Colorado Rafting - Arkansas Valley Adventures (AVA) | Facebook

Deanna Clauson
General Manager
AVAColoradoRafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #129
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I think the horse is dead........
As a guy who spends 60 plus days a year in a kayak (or raft if I have to), I completely understand and share the respect of guides and other devout boaters rescue abilities.
Would love to be at your beer summit Brett, but I will be busy polishing my gun while saving lives down at Holy Tony's on the Lake. hahaha
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #130
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
From BT

Ryan's side of the story:

BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk - I was arrested for swimming across the river.....

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote