Old 06-13-2010   #111
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I am a raft guide (crap I can't believe I admitted that publicly) and on my last trip I took down some firefighters and nurses so I feel that I am highly, if not over-qualified to make an opinion. In addition my facts are always triple checked by that dude who does Around the Horn and check facts for PTI. Oh, I am also Jewish which means I am chosen and never wrong.

Just want to put that out there so posers and douches alike can not flame on like some fantastic 4 geek.

The solution to this problem is extremely simple: Don't flip your boat

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #112
just spent 15 mins writing a response and lost the message... not doing it again!! here it is in the 2 min version.

1. news got it wrong once again (main reason for posting)

2. Fire/Rescue found girl from truck while staging downstream (heard screams of help) assistant fire chief and and flight Paramedic /volunteer!! companies rescue was far too long especially when fire/rescue beat them to it.....response times stated as per Powdahound earlier! ... usually body recovery... and that was put in motion at the time!!!

3. I commend Ryan for trying to take responsibility/control for situation as the TL...... should not have been arrested but maybe cited scolded !!!! his decision making is the factor here!!!! despite his credentials which are likely way better than most of ours.... this does not take away from the fact that he blatently diregarded the Under-sheriff and risked many things including jeapordizing his companies name and in some eyes his job! should have stated who he was and his credentials and asked how he may help?!?!?! then followed the undersherifs/rescues reply with dignity and swallowing pride! not in the manner he did! Hindsight and Armchairing is always easier... I understand... lets all work together to make the river safer and less hostile!!

4. this is a time to learn to think before you act especially in a controlled situation....... hot heads can be more of a problem

5. apology for calling Ryan a dumbass! (I always try to refrain from name calling) he just acted irresponsibly but likely with good intentions...

Its snowing like mad in G-town.... get ready for the high flows to continue.....yeehaw or higher flows possibly and lets all be safeR!!!!

brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #113
G-Town, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2009
This is hilarious.

I'm a North Carolina guy and live in a small southern town. Didn't realize y'all had redneck sheriff's too. We learn out here that if you make the authorities look like a bunch of jackasses they'll lock you up. Everytime time.

Looks like Boss Hog and Roscoe P. Coltrain done moved to Colorado.

This is nothing more than a pissing match. Ryan just showed them that all that money the spent on shiney new equpment isn't always necessary. They're embarassed. They gotta make him 'wrong' to save face. And they got a budget to defend. Think they'll get all that new stuff in next year's budget after this fiasco?

May be good advertising for AVA. I know who I'll be looking up next time I'm in Colorado....
gtkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #114
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Hey Poser Hater. Just re-read your post and actually paid attention. You are one clueless SOB. The state does inspect outfitter's equipment through spot checks at put-ins, office inspections and yes they do investigate accidents they deem appropriate. Why would you know if they did or didn't, were you expecting a phone call from the ranger? The office cheap shot is quite the assertion, Duke put's on a class act. The head boatman at their Clear Creek office has been guiding on the Creek since the early 90's, he knows what's up and shares that experience with his staff. The guide of the boat I don't know, but as far as I'm concerned that girl is a Rockstar she could have saved her own butt as soon as their adventure began but she stuck it out and did everything she could to keep those people safe. Can't find somebody after 45 minutes and you think they should give up, you are truly a sack of sh*t. Feel free to attack the facts of this misadventure but don't question the integrity of a bunch of people you don't know.

Wow the weather really is shitty with all the folks online right now.
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #115
reality, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
Originally Posted by riojedi View Post
Feel free to attack the facts of this misadventure but don't question the integrity of a bunch of people you don't know.

Right back at you Jed and you make my point everyone on this forum is attacking the integrity of the first responders... interesting your repremand comes now.
ihateposers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #116
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Poser - that's an awesome handle - no one is questioning the integrity of the first responder or the FD here. They show up and do the best they can with what they have available. What they don't have available is 100s of days worth of experience on the river.

Isn't it funny how this garbage doesn't happen on Browns Canyon even though there are way more rafters and way more flipped rafts? Why? Because it would take professional rescuers hours upon hours to enact a rescue without their toys and a mile or two from a road. So, what happens? Raft guides do it, day in and day out. But there are exceptions to this, like serious injuries. Then what happens? The raft guides involve professional S&R teams in an area of their expertise - medical treatment and transportation. The system works like it should.

And Kaleb - you're right I'm stuck down here without any boating...ugh. So, I'm doing what every good buzzard does when stuck without water, especially in kayaking season. Talking shit on the buzz!
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #117
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
just spent 15 mins writing a response and lost the message... not doing it again!! here it is in the 2 min version.

1. news got it wrong once again (main reason for posting)
Which article? Jason's, or the first one?

Considering that we don't seem to be able to get a straight, EGO free answer from EITHER side... I'm not surprised that one article says one thing, and another (written by a person who is a boater btw if you don't know Blevins) would have a totally different perspective.

I really hope after all this bullshit, that next time people can learn to actually work together a little better instead of having an ego war (BOTH SIDES).
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #118
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Maybe I'm missing it but I still haven't read anything from anyone who was actually at the scene. Before I form and opinion one way or another or write the sheriff in support of anyone, I'd like to know more about what went down. All I read here is just the usual Internet brah culture back and forth flame and I sure as hell ain't forming an opinion based on that.
samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #119
Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
Which article? Jason's, or the first one? (BOTH SIDES).
Jason's for sure he quotes "Snodgrass's raft flipped about noon Thursday..."
most likely an oversight I'm sure he's a stand up guy from what I know...

no concerns with Jason I'm sure he did the best he could gathering info with people lieing and such... all the conficting rumors ... even the news advertised it as 9 yr. old! I know the CCFD was given the wrong info also re: age of victim... how many victims etc.

his article seemed to be unbiased and tried to cover both sides something seldom seen in the media!!!

Channel 9 had something about Ryan having rescued the girl from the water when in actuality she washed up in an eddy behind a strainer...
then it disappeard! thank god!!

9 had this also

"the girl was found alive a short time later. Authorities initially reported it was a missing boy, and then that it was the 9-year-old girl."

brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #120
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by Scotty lefebvre View Post
I also have been a raft guide for 8 years in my former life
but not a very good one!
mike c(catura) aka captain carnage

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote