Old 04-01-2013   #1
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
WTF- can be learned here?

I found this video a minute ago on 9 News.

Caught on Camera: Dramatic rescue of stranded kayaker |

I watched the video and normally the writing below is just is repeat of the video. But, this time it was so much more. Please give it a read and discuss from there.

My head is still kind of spinning. Now why didn't he just drop his boat and swim to shore, instead of almost flush drowning/ or freezing to death for an hour?

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Solo paddling, inexperience and highwater all seemed to be contributing factors.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Learn to roll. If you can't do that, learn to swim...that river wasn't gushing and you could have easily swam to shore. Hell, from the pictures, it looks like you could have hop-scotched across rocks to get to shore.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #4
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Seems like he knew people where going to talk shit cause he would only give his fist name.

Something similar to this happened two years ago on the Arkansas river in Coaldale Co. Two people demoed gear from CKS and swam a class III rapid called cottonwood and lost their paddles and got stranded on the other side of the river away from the road. They called Search and rescue and said they where in trouble. So SAR shut down the road so they could get the guys from the other side of the river. Little did the two know before calling for help there was a bride a mile up stream and a bridge 2 miles down stream that would have led to the road.
RockyMt.Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #5
SW, Colorado
Total Noob + Other contributing factors

I've been on this section of the Potomac, so have an idea what happened.

First, the river was probably @ about 20,000 cfs, and definitely has big water characteristics, despite the relatively "easy" rapids. Also, the water was prob. 45 degrees or less (on a warm sunny day.)

Anyway, the guy probably put in, and immediately flipped in an eddyline or Class2-3 wave train, swam 15+ minutes (in big, cold, swirly water -- can be quite difficult to reach shore). He hit mid-river rocks right by a popular park-and-play wave. If he had swam for 3 more minutes, the main current would have pushed him right into the shoreline, then the river becomes flatwater.

The guy was clearly a total noob, choosing to paddle alone-knowing that he didn't have proper skills, and requiring rescue from a Class 2 section of river.

Apparrently this kind of thing happens pretty regularly there.
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
William needs to work on his boof stroke.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
An hour and a half swim? Somebody throw that boy a turkey leg!
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #8
Erwin, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1984
This BOY called william was looking for a rescue and appeared to have no desire to execute a self rescue, (no news coverage for self rescues).
toney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #9
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A couple summers ago I was playing shuttle bunny and was waiting at the Bridges put in on the Poudre.

I saw a guy in the eddy alone in his kayak, he paddled around a bit then shrugged his shoulders and proceeded to paddle down the eddy instead of peeling out. He hit the first big triangle rock on river right, flipped, did not attempt a roll and immediately swam out of his kayak.

I was alone without any gear so I just watched him holding his gear all the way around the corner. When I went downstream I saw him getting out at difficult bridge rapid. The guy swam a mile of whitewater with his boat and paddle, solo.

I think some people don't research kayaking enough before getting in over their heads.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #10
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
"So I pulled out of the kayak, had my vest on had my helmet on and rode the river." - Bill

I love ridin rivers too!

Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote