Old 08-07-2006   #1
WTF???? 7 a.m. cut-off on Gore Race Day?

So- yesterday one of the crew finally decided to read the posting at the put-in for Gore; Lo and behold this year it seems the latest you may arrive to run on race day is 7 a.m. ?!?! What's the deal? Last year I recall substantial ire being raised by a 10 a.m. deadline. Who made this decision, the organizers or the BLM-type folks? Either way this MUST be changed.

If you can't hike up from the bottom and you're supposed to be hung-over on the water at 6:30 at the top then you'll have no gallery and no fun. I call BULLSHIT. Let's get this fixed

routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Yeah. I was thinking of going down, but this would totally eliminate any chance of that.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #3
Not sure what is posted at the Gore put-in ... but here is the information from the website.

Saturday August 19
7am-10am Registration at Pumphouse Campground
10am Race Briefing at Pumphouse Campground
8am-11am Free bus shuttles from Pumphouse to put-in. Please note that the put-in road will be closed to the public. To access the put-in, you must use the free shuttle.
9am-11.30am Free bus shuttle from parking area (on the trough road just west of the put in) to put-in
Noon Downriver Race starts at Gauging Station
Noon New Belgium Beer Garden opens
2pm - 4pm Free bus shuttles from Pumphouse to the parking lot near the put-in
5.30pm Zen Barons play
7.30pm Awards Ceremony
8pm Band and/or DJ

Looks like there is a window for registration. Anyone able to clear this up?
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
I didn't find that in the rules I just read. But I did read that the road to the put-in will be closed but they will provide shuttle. That is actually pretty sweet if they can handle the traffic.

If there is a river closure like last year, I'll be in jail before they keep me off a public river. I'm not going to fight a cop or something stupid like that, but I'm not going to stop carrying my boat to the river until I'm cuffed. I'll let the judge sort it out.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Hey Routter and everyone,

There is no "Cut-off" and the river is not closed. In order to manange all the traffic and keep the put-in accessible to everyone, we will be running a shuttle from Pumphouse and also from a parking area near the put in.

Registration is from 7:00am - 10:00am at Pumphouse. If you aren't racing you can head right to the put in. The road to the put-in will be closed at 7:00am to keep the parking area open. The shuttles will begin running at that time. You won't be able to park at the put in proper, but everyone will be able to access the river all day. The shuttles will be available for both people and gear.

Rapidpulse will be staffing this and Mark Joffe will personally be there to manage the area and work with the BLM to ensure there are no repeats of last year's confusion.

We're working to make it a smooth and fun day for everyone.

Sam F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #6
Sweet- thanks for the info.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #7
So, if I undertand correctly, paddlers are supposed to drive to Pumphouse, park vehicles, and then the shuttle buses will carry boats,gear and people up to the put in. Rafts too?
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #8
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sooo... how about commercial trips? Are we going to have access or to we have to fight with a twig pi to get to the put-in? We always use a shuttle driver on fest day and would pick people up, joffe are we excepted?
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #9
Lakewood, Colorado
There will be parking available near the put in so you do not need to go all the way to Pumphouse to catch a shuttle. Parking will be marked as you turn off Highway 9. Commercial trips will be allowed in directly to the put in. We'll be working with the outfitters to ensure that their trips aren't compromised.

Old 08-08-2006   #10
Lakewood, Colorado
Just to clarify things, there will be two parking areas. One will be at Pumphouse. If you are racing or watching and don't want the hassle at the end of the day, park here. The second area will be off the road near the put in. If you aren't racing, just running and watching, this is your option. We will have shuttles running all day between Pumphouse and the put in. You'll be able to get back to your cars at the put in after running.