Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-07-2005   #1
Wow, you sure can tell when the water is gone in CO

you seasonal boaters have it rough, esp the ones of you who don't play in the snow... move to the southeast where you can boat year round and hang out with cool people like "ihateboulder"... also would ease the population problem all you folks bitch about.. never heard such complainin from people who live in the mountains.. get off your computers and go watch tv.

snug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #2
Snowmass ski patrol
No thanks, I'd rather sit around smoke pot, smell bad, bitch about the world and not do anything about it.

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I miss the year round creeking but not the pollution and rude people that are in the SE.
GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #4
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
-Funny you should say... I left tennessee, where I grew up, nine years ago and never looked back. I did my time in dead polluted rivers.
-Guaranteed water from snow, boy that really sucks looking forward to running the upper Animas or the quiver of class V+ creeks surounding Durango as I engluff myself in the backcountry powder that will soon be melting with me into the entrance of all three gorges of lime creek.
-I guess for you it sucks to know that me and my friends will probably be the only ones on the particular creek that is calling our name that day.
-Maybe it sucks more to know that my friends spent more nights on multi-day river trips, on multiple rivers, within 5 hours of our houses, than hours they spent this season yanking it in some playhole
-Please stay where you are.
-Oh yea, I am on my computer checking levels for vallecito (which has run off rain every week for the last month), south mineral creek, uncompaghre, and cimmarron rivers.
-I don't have a TV. I think for myself
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #5
Foot of snow in the hills forecast for tonight. Ski season is nearly upon us.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #6
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Woohoo. Out on the range we're suppose to get 5-7 inches in the next few days. I hope it happens.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #7
Breckenridge, Colorado
quit hatin'

Spent lots of weekends paddling the southeast and Eastern US. I love it there, but.......what about ski season! That is why I am moving to Breck in November. Can't wait to hit some of the creeks and rivers around CO! Don't hate so much buddy, we are all in this together. Have fun instead of bitchin about the people that love the same sport
krausedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #8
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Two words about the SE: "tropical storms."

NOT that I wouldn't trade my first-born for a free pass to CO, but occasionally, the water here does make up for it (aside from the fact half our rivers are eaten up with chemicals and pesticides, have dangerous pH levels that won't support life, and dioxin levels that'll impact plant and animal life for the next 200 years).

After the tropical storm that made landfall in GA and NC last Wed/ Thu, we spent the weekend chasing water... ended up at the Nolichucky Gorge, with flows of 6000 cfs Thu/ Fri, 4000 Fri/ Sat, and 2500 Sat/ Sun. Had more fun this weekend than I did most of the season! Plus (not that you CO boaters worry about this much), high water levels = significant decrease in the amount of plastic you end up sacrificing to the rocks and river gods.

Hope you guys have a blast on all the fresh powder coming down out there: I may still be running rivers here, but I'm still jealous!
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #9
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Newby .. CO doesn't get that much snow generally, & it's gonna be awhile before anyone is enjoying any "fresh powder" of the cold variety (especially in Breck). It takes a lot of snow to cover all the "rocks" of the "Rocky" Mts. CO residents are gonna be hitting the gym, mt biking, hiking, boozing, or flaming each other on MtBuzz to pass the time for a little while yet.

Regarding the rest of the SE vs. CO stuff .. two words: North-effin'-West.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #10
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Hey Newby,
Anyone who wants it that badly can have it. Get on a plane, get a part-time job and ski/kayak bum the years away. Plus, pretty much anywhere in CO is a great place to raise your second child: Summit, Telluride, Winter Park, etc. are all great places to be (just don't live in Vail). Check this out:

P.S. Rumor has it there are some basements open to you in the state until you get your own place .

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote