Old 08-07-2004   #1
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Wow, the wicked guts of wicked wanda.

...and I thought it looked bad with water in it...

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004   #2
Looks like it wouldnt be too hard to get that wood out at low levels..... its been in there for years. That would be a sweet rapid without all that nasty.

CB crew...... little help??

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004   #3
What's really scary about the pic that is I think we boofed over that top branch the last time we ran it. I know we boofed over a piece of wood. Weird...
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I ran it about 8 years ago at low water, before the log got in there. It was NASTY. Almost pinned, and probably should have. Granted, I was probably in a New Wave Mongoose or such nonsense at the time, but I still think it's really too narrow to make it a "sweet" rapid- literally 2.5' wide down in that pocket at the bottom of the pic. I remember ricocheting off the walls and getting smeared on both parts on the channel.

It probably needs a good rockslide to fill in the creased parts of the rapid. It can be run, but I don't consider it a quality runnable rapid- especially when compared to others in that area. I've walked it since, although it's been a few years since I've run the Slate. I've heard folks say that with a good deal of water you can stay above the nasty stuff, but knowing that it's plumbed the way it is give me the the shakes. The fact that the banks are slick at glass for self rescue or extraction sucks as well..
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004   #5
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Here is another pic taken from below...

It would make the rapid a little less dangerous to remove the wood, but the pin potential is still real bad.

I, for one, have never had any problems with portaging this rapid
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004   #6
Maybe the right amount of wood?

I ran it last year at midland flows with out a problem. There was a good amount of wood, but it was kinda beaver dam-ish stuffed in the bottom of the slot. I doubt my ability lead me thru with out a hitch, so it must be runable upon inspection and just the right amount of hairball wood stuck in the throat.

yakpolo is offline   Reply With Quote