Old 09-25-2010   #1
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Would you work for Lewis Shaw?

The construction company that I work for is negotiating with Lewis Shaw to build a lodge on his property on the Taylor River. This is the property that has sought to restrict access to float the Taylor and sparked the dispute over statewide river access. Would you work for the company or look for another employer rather than work on that project?

jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #2
Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
I would bring my boat and do laps during lunch!

"With a wonder and a wild desire..." -Flogging Molly
feats of strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #3
this is not the place to ask that question
flipover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It would be nice to take a principled stand.Jobs are hard to come by now don't screw yourself.I don't think you working indirectly for him temporarily makes you complicit in what he does.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you can avoid working on his job, I would encourage you to. However, we all need money.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #6
Keep you friends close and your enemies closer...Someone's going to build it if you don't and you might find some dirt while you're there.
robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #7
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you differ philosophically that much for your employer you shouldn't be involved in the project.

You're a guy that lives in the mountains, boats whitewater, probably skis a lot, works construction; you're a real deal mountain man living the dream. Okay, I don't really know you so your life might suck, but I'm assuming most of what I suggest is true based on your posts and your name being identical to a cool guy I know.

Do you want to live simply in paradise and NOT stick to your ideals? Look, write up a one page outline about why you don't want to work for this particular project - this will help you sort out your ethic on the issue as well. Meet with your boss and talk about it. Try to talk him out of the project if you can, but tell him you'll be there for him on the next one no matter what he decides. He'll see that it means a lot to you. If he can't respect that then you should be looking for work in a resort community about this time of year anyway.

However, if you can make it through financially to the next job Karma is going to hook you the fuck up anyway. Maybe you'll find Shaw clinging to a branch on the Taylor at flood one day and you can laugh like River Rat Ray as he's washed away in front of you...

Of course you may have no option. Don't lose your home or starve over it man, they're going to find someone to do the job. I just think everyone here will agree you would be a genuine FUCKING HERO if you didn't take it.

Good luck.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #8
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Jobs are hard to come by, I think the first thing should be your personal situation and need for the job. If you need the job you shouldn't have a problem separating your personal life (boating) and your professional life.

Maybe you'll get a chance to talk to him on a more personal note because you're helping him build his place, and really get insight on his ideology. Even if you disagree with it.

That might be a bad idea I don't know.
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #9
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Like everyone else said so far, if you need the money to get by, don't jeopardize that. If you have the flexibility to make a stand whether it's having a few words with shaw, your boss or leaving the company I think all of us would support that as well.

If you don't have the flexibility, feel free to make a shitty building that costs him a lot of money in the long run.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #10
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
multiple code violations can be quite problematic

MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote