Old 09-26-2010   #11
Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
Do the job, make the bucks, & invite him out on the water....

catboatkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
...then dump him.

watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #13
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Love your enemies.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #14
C. Springs, Colorado
The best way to change things is from within.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #15
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
So I'm living down in Texas now and I'm seeing the situation Shaw is coming from. Here there are ranchers that show up at legal putins and threaten kayakers with shotguns. Then they call the local hillbilly police who show up and write trespassing tickets to the kayakers. The DA never actually sees them into court, just lets them sit in limbo because he knows the charges wont stick. The shit going on with Shaw is only isolated in Colorado. In Texas it's the way business is done across the board. I originally came to this disagreement from the perspective that there can be some sort of civilized discourse and agreement. However, I'm now seeing that he's expecting to just take the Taylor like he could with any river down here. I say screw him any way possible.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #16
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ thats why he pretty much has backed off the fight for now. he came to town and thought since he wrote the checks he made the rules, just like it is back home. but once he realized what a fight this truly is then he relented and decided to cool it.

and i dont know what everyone is saying, "continuing the threaten access", there is no muddy issue anymore. im sorry people like jeffsmith and outbackjack and slavetotheflyrod cant get it, but its pretty simple: float through, keep your comments to yourself, dont fish the waters, dont touch anything and there is no issue. its you boaters who are MAKING it an issue now by insisting on your petty need to fish one two mile stretch in a river that is over 45 miles long. just shut up and boat. end of problems.

that being said, whats more important to you: sticking to your morals? or having money for your next kayak trip? or even putting food on your plate for that matter? pretty simple to me. i have several friends that are employed by the ranch (more direct than you would be building houses as a contractor, were talkin direct employees here) and they are boaters and dont have a problem with this guy. like whats his name said, bring your boat and do lunch time laps. they havent "sold out to the man", they go to their job and do what their paid to do. which is what i suggest you do
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #17
B.F.E., Wyoming
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
dont fish the waters
BullShit that is so fucking retarded. Does Shaw own the fish? Nope, end of story.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #18
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
About doing a terrible job as his place, just remember all you've got is your name.

I think it's go and do an awesome job or don't go at all.
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #19
Is Shaw really that different then who you work for now?
Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #20
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
It's my knowledge that you'd likely never even see or talk to the guy unless you're high up in the construction ranks. You can take the really high road and donate half of what you're getting paid to fight against his interests. If you could interact with him it'd likely be short and nothing consequential. In reality, what information could you gather? It'd be great to hear him or have him tell you he put shit in the river in hopes that kayakers and boaters would get injured and then use it against him but that's a remote hope. You could break the law and sabotage things but in the long run, unless you are really clever, you'll go to jail, he'll use the incident to garner support for his cause, and we all lose. The ideal way is to tell your employer straight up that this douche is usurping democracy by buying politicians and stealing a Colorado river and you'd rather not work for him. But, chances are your employer will only see the money involved and he or she too will set aside logic and principle for money and look at you like an ideological idiot.

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote