Old 08-24-2005   #41
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Re: Some clarifications on helmets

Originally Posted by shredder
"You can quote CE certification and such for the Head Trip helmets, but in case you didn't notice, there is no standard certification for whitewater helmets." Electric-Meyham

CE 1385 is a standard for helmets for whitewater canoeing and kayaking period. It is the only standard avaliable.

"For most companies, whether its plastic or composites, the shell is lined with a foam of some kind, usually MiniCell or the like (sometimes minicell covered in a felt like material, as seen in Shred Ready helmets). " Electric-Meyham.

Shred Ready does not use Mini cell foam. We use either VN or EPP. VN is the foam used in some hockey and football helmets. It is equal to or better than EPP at 1 2 and 6 impacts at the same location. EPP is an expanded foam (polyproelyene). It has memory and is there for multiimpact. It looks similar to EPS (styrofoam) but take mulitple impacts.

While the shell of a helmet is an imporant factor, for impact management it is not the only factor. While it is important to spread the "load" over a great area, the foam is equally or more important in slowing down your head in a very short amount of time so that you will not die. Most of the cutting edge reserach in helmets at the moment is in foams.

For more info on helmets from an unbiased point of view see the following.

while mostely about bike helmets there is lots of useful information about tesing, materials and the like.

Best Regards
Tom Sherburne
Shred Ready, Inc.

I stand corrected on the type of foam you use and that there is a standard for whitewater headgear. Not to be nitpicky, but would you mind posting what it takes to fall under the CE 1385 standard. I tried to find some info on it in google and came up with nothing. I just like to know what standards mean when they are quoted. Its not a knock against you at all, I am just curious. I actually like the Shred Ready helmets alot. They seem a bit more bomber to me and I like the ease of adjustability. The HOG system is also top notch and makes the helmet feel very solid on your head. I still think that a real suspension system will do better job of not transfering the force of impact to the brain then foam will though. It seems to be a trade off. The webbing system that takes up more room and requires more space between your head and the shell, or the closer fitting and lower profile foam system that may jar your head a bit more. I do like how gath does it, where they have a neoprene that fits to your head and is attached to the base of the helmet, so that the helmet moves a bit during impact, but stays put when you are in normal mode. This allows it to still be low profile at the same time as having a bit of that suspension system going on (if you are unclear of what I mean by suspension system, check out the Petzl Ecrin climbing helmet or the Prijon Protector). It also has about the best occipital lobe protection that I have seen in a water related helmet. So yeah, some info on what is involved with the CE 1385 standard would be great.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #42
CE 1385

If you want the full protocol you will need to go to British Standards Institute web site. You have to purchase it.

Basically, here the different test a helmet must go under

1) impact testing under specified velocity. differnt sports standards have differning impact velocityies. for example a motocycle helmet has a differnt test velocity than say kayaking. All impacts must measure under 250 g's for 30 milliseconds. this is the limit. for US bike and other helmet standards the limit is 300 g's. I don't recall the test velocity for 1385 off the top of my head.

the helmets are droped with a head form in them. inside the headform is an acclerometer to meausre the g forces or the peak acceleration when the helmet hits an anvil (there are different shaped anvils too to mimik for exmaple a curb or a smooth rock or a edge of a rock or metal etc.)

helmet samples are impacted above a drawn test line with reference to the headform size that sample is fitted to. helmet samples are also impacted in different areas as well.

2) retention system test: dynamic test to see if the buckles break or the straps break when a load is applied. if straps break or buckles break you fail.

3) roll off test: load up the edge of the helmet with a weight. the weight is drop to see how far the helmet moves. if it move mroe than 30mm you fail.

4) tesing impacts under varying environmental condistions: for example after being submersed in water for 24 hours. after being exposed to UV light for a period of time etc. ( some sports helmet standards will include other type of environmental conditions; for example in extreme cold for ski/snowboarding helmets)

5) specificed sizing: the helmet are tested to see which headforms they fit.

6) there are specified lableing requirments and tracking requirements

7) there can be no uncovered internal protrustion inside the shell. for example rivets must be smashed flat.
oh yeah the helmet has to float for 1385.

hope that helps. if you want more detailed info on the protocol you can search the ASTM site for the standard protocol for testing all types of helmets. or the BSI site. but you will have to pay for the reprints.

shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #43
Engineering Student
Bigboater -
I would be happy to go in on the box deal.
I also vote for tequila sunrise, no vents, let me know if you are still going to get a box.

justinlk is offline   Reply With Quote