Old 09-17-2010   #21
CO, Colorado
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
You'll be glad whitewater boating is rated so low when you go to find your own life insurance. Not only would it raise your rate, it might make it less available. Sometimes being not-so-rad is actually good. Q-ship all the way.
Not so funny that insurance companies can discriminate when you're buying private insurance. Insurance through my office doesn't cost me or my office any more/less based on my hobbies.

CoArkYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #22
CO, Colorado
Originally Posted by fullmer View Post
Considering the recent road bike--trailer collision near Durango and the discussion that followed, road biking on narrow mountainous highways has to be one of the most extreme sports out there. A plastic helmet and lycra shorts aren't much protection against a semitruck.
I pass these crazy people all the time & always think they probably think I'm crazy when they see me on the river. I understand there's a three feet rule in this state...does that even help with the air draft as the vehicle passes? I give bikers some credit (or skulls in this case).

CoArkYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #23
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
I took up paragliding this year..... i have only 35 flights or so. I have not had a crash on takeoff or landing.... all my landings have actually been on my feet.
I gotta say this is a ridiculous sport. Last week i saw a guy launch and his wing collapsed and he pummeled in from 15 feet. A lotta unknowns in this sport for sure. you can't see what the wind is doing..... its kinda invisible. Imagine launching into a class 5 creek with no ability to read water

anyone wanta buy a like new paragliding rig?
I've got a USPA Class B skydiving license and I'm a retired MFF Jumpmaster. I've always wanted to check out the paragliding scene though. Where's a good resource for Colorado paragliding?
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #24
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Yes, I would like to buy your paragliding rig. I have no idea what I need to purchase so I will just trust you to tell me before I jump off a cliff if I've made a mistake. For a reasonable price, of course.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010   #25
Kingston, New York
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I imagine most cave divers are pretty good, level headed, and take the risks seriously. Just like boaters.
It depends on how you define "cave diver". Any asshole that goes into a cave while diving is cave diving, but I wouldn't call them cave divers. Roughly 1/3 of the people who have died while cave diving didn't even have a single light; they were generally diving in a spring and decided to just go a few feet into the cave, where they typically get disoriented and lost after stirring up silt. Those who are real cave divers generally get a good deal of training, and most follow the accepted rules rigidly. Cave diving is definitely a sport where being a bit anal is a very good thing.

Obviously cave diving, along with plenty of other "extreme sports", is more risky than mainstream sports, but not nearly as risky as most people probably think.
scagrotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010   #26
Kingston, New York
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Imagine launching into a class 5 creek with no ability to read water
A better approach would be to imagine that you're good at reading the water, but the water is invisible. You might not "see" everything, but you'd still have a good idea of what's likely to be happening. If you understand how features are formed seeing the things that form them tells you most of what you need to know. Air is very much like invisible water. When it flows over or around obstacles it creates turbulence, eddies and hydraulics. If your training didn't cover that thoroughly then your training was lacking.

scagrotto is offline   Reply With Quote