Old 11-01-2009   #1
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Work in progress

I am not as creative as most folks here and don't have access to fancy tools, but I am still trying to make the setup as comfy as possible for my family.

After a long research and help from here and other places, I am finally putting everything together slowly. I thought I'd share with the rest in case other folks are doing the same thing. I had a lot of questions before I started spending the cash.

Boat: Maravia Typhoon 16" 2009
Frame: AAA diamond plated 87"
Dry Box: AAA 42x18x16
Seat bracket: AAA
Cooler: Galaxy 128qt

Still to get:
Captain Boxes: 2x 21"Lx10"Wx16"D
Water Jugs: Plastic Jerry cans
Storage: considering Everything bag for the stern

Any feedback is welcome.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #2
seriously nice!

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #3
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Looks nice, but here is a problem I see. And you have it different in a couple of photos.
In some of the shots, the seat swings back. What happens if you have the stern area loaded high and you need to get something out of your dry box? You will have to partially unload too swing to seat back. I think it would be better, as in some of the photos, to have the seat swing forward. Then you can get stuff out of the dry box much easier. Just a thought.

PS. Looks like you'll be ready if the basement floods.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #4
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Looks real nice. I have a couple questions/comments.

1: What happens if the boat ends up vertical in a wave, or you have to use the seat for better leverage, or (as mentioned) you have lots of gear in the back? I would flip the seat forward for all these reasons. (edit... I now see a strap on front) You'll loose some room in the captains bay. I'd also ditch the folding seat. The back hinge will break just when you need the leverage. A layer of the silver bubble wrap for home water heaters is nice to glue under the flip bracket. Keeps it from scratching the drybox or cooler all to hell.

2: I noticed plastic "fatex" type strap buckles. In a bad situation, I would not trust these to hold essential gear. I know that this is your family setup, but NRS or DRE straps are the only way to go.

Must be your new baby, I see it has a room of its own. Does it get you up in the middle of the night?

Makes me want something bigger than my 13 ft super puma.
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #5
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Thanks for the feedback, very appreciated.

1. I knew I was going to catch heat for the seat bracket I want to give this setup a try, I never overload the stern area so I always seem to have just enough area to flip the dry box lid open vertically. If I am wrong, I can flip it back quite easily. I am getting two captain boxes for the "daily" dry needs and the big dry box will be used for mostly "camp" gear.

2. Action seat is what I already had from my old setup, so I used that for test purposes. I have popped the seat once already. I can't make up my mind between High and Low back seats yet. I keep jumping into my friends' boats all the time. I am leaning towards Low back for now.

3. I just put the rubber bushings on the bottom of the bracket to keep it from scratching the box, excellent point though. Thanks!

4. The small straps I got from strapworks. They are to hold the shelf for the ammo cans. I am still tossing that idea around, I might switch to U-bolts instead. I am afraid I won't have enough room for the regular strap buckles. Most of my straps are NRS though.

And yes, this is my new second wife (4 days old), good thing I live in Utah where polygamy is alright My wife allowed me to keep the boat in the basement for the argument was that it will keep me out of bars and in the basement through out the winter. She bought it!

Old 11-02-2009   #6
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Damn, makes me want to go boating!

It is bad when it is only November and am all ready jonesin' hard for the river......

One question on your setup. It looks like the oar stands are kind of far back. Will you have paddlers up front, or is that just a personal preference thing?
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #7
The Russian
SLC, Utah
This boat is of the exact same dimensions as my old Riken boat and that is how I learned to row and rowed for 4 years. So I think I just got used to it by now and tend to keep it the same way. If I do bigger rivers, I usually bring a couple of paddlers for the front.
Old 11-02-2009   #8
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Any feedback is welcome.

Very nice work. Small adjustments can be made as you use the boat on the river. I would put a football size object under the boat floor where the dry box sits to simulate a river boulder and check for upward bumping of dry box, than do the samething for cooler and make adjustments as needed to minimize annoying upward bumping in rapids. You do not want to destroy the bottom of your boat too soon.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #9
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Hmm, that's a good idea, thanks! I will try that. I am very impressed with Maravia's floor, hope it delivers on the river as much as I think it might.
Old 11-02-2009   #10
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Nice basement furniture! Where's the flat screen get mounted?

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote