Old 11-03-2009   #21
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
kazak4x4, I will start building two 17 ft. boats next summer and I want mine just like yours, very clean and simple. I like the bigger boats also, you can load them flat and low so it cuts down on the wind blowing you all over the place and the strong winds are the one thing I dislike the most, next to running out of booz. I should say finish next summer.P.S big boats are also easer to load.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #22
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
There is always a question pops up on the Buzz, which boat should I choose? It's funny how the responses always start with 14 feet and then end up on 16 footers. I find 16 foot boat very friendly for a family float and long expedition trips. I really hate smashing things in and/or packing vertical. I like to spread my load.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #23
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Nice rig. Yeah, I should have gotten a 15 footer, but now that I have my tiny cat it doesn't really bother me, and for 2 people and 2 dogs we're OK on the 14'.

Pretty sweet aluminum everything you have going there! I went the poor $ way, and also because I didn't like the added height of the flip seat, and mounted my seat to a piece of wood which is strapped onto my seat. I was high enough sitting on my cooler I didn't want to add any inches I didn't have to. I ponder making a table still, but like having the platform on the boat at all times, day trip and multi day, and also anytime I go to the boat on multiday (it makes it easy to walk around on it).

So much rigging to do. I suppose it's a good thing I don't have a basement or shop or I'd have my frame in there working on it all winter too!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #24
Salt Lake City, Utah
Alex, nice boat! So did you get rid of your Riken? We used to rent that same Riken boat from the U of U numerous times. It seemed to perform well. Bet you can't wait to get it out. I've heard a lot of good things about Maravia boats. I'm in SLC also, maybe we'll see each other on the river some time. I'd like to see that boat in action. I'm a family boater also. Wife and a 12 year old.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #25
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Darn it alex, i just rolled up my sh**t and put it away for the winter, now i'll have to pull it all out again and keep tinkering. seeing your setup has given me more ideas, maybe i'll put it in the living room so the kid can use it as a trampoline.... hmmm.
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #26
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Kyle, you are welcome to come by, I still have my old Riken. I am keeping the boat for family members to go with me. That Riken boat served me awesome, never had a problem with it. Sometimes I wonder why I am switching.... feeling kind of guilty actually.

oarframe, when you get ideas, please post here, the tinkering never ever ends! Actually my boat works great now for reenactment of Peter Pan and the Captain Hook movie with my boy.

I am probably going to place an order for the captain dry boxes tomorrow, still wondering what size to go with 10" or 13" wide?
Old 11-03-2009   #27
The Russian
SLC, Utah
I switched the pin on the seat, any feedback about it?

The PolyMax on the floor in the drop bag, better view:

And of course HD TV in the background for some rafting videos!

Old 11-03-2009   #28
where did you get the polymax? was that also through AAA?
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #29
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Why the polymax on the floor? , use 1/4 to 1/2 inch closed cell foam to buffer the cans and protect against rubbing/holes, or glue the foam on the bottom of your cans directly
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #30
The Russian
SLC, Utah
That PolyMax makes it a sturdy floor, much easier to pack the ammo cans into it than putting them into a drop bag. That plastic hardly weighs anything and drains instantly.

bth, here is a link: PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - TekSupply