Old 08-16-2008   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Another thing that helps is confidence... It sounds weird, but it really helps. The second you doubt your roll you'll start missing it.

Ricky NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #12
Fellow Michigander here! I would second the motion to: GO STATE!

Besides the play spot on the Huron, I hear there's one on the Kalamazoo. I cannot remember the exit off of 94, but it's after BC, before K-zoo. Brought my boat one February and couldn't locate the hole. Plus it snowed, so I didn't look too hard.

The key to life for me is also the set up. I know if I take the time to set up, I will roll. I'm a big believer in EJs advice: f"ocus on the task at hand" and setting up is my task. I don't doubt my roll, or think about what is coming up. Those thoughts just do not enter my mind.

Given that though, I've been between swims for a while now, (afraid to talk about it too much) and I know that it could all change any day! I've seen a couple of people lose their roll, no matter how solid it was, the minute they started doubting it. I really try to respect the fact that I'm between swims. I play a lot on my way down the river and roll many, many times, (practice), on each run I do.

Anyway congrats and have fun in the old home state. It's a beautiful place and a nice place to visit. (Laurie, we should go back together sometime. See the families and then check out the boating scene.)

Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #13
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Three Spartans on MB??? Who would have thought that??? Sparty On!

Deb - Boating together in MI would be very weird... if the stars align, I'm in!

lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #14
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The best advice I got was to start playing around. When most people learn their roll, they flip over with their paddle already set up, but on moving water, nobody flips over in the set up position. So do stuff like putting the paddle behind your head and flip over, or hold it with one hand, and learn to orient it while you're flipped over. Playboating will make your roll bomber. Fo sho.
farmer_juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Keep your head down, and keep your head down.

If you focus on ending your roll with your ear on your shoulder, that helps. You'll look funny, but you won't be upside down!
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #16
ann arbor, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2008
thanks so much for all the responses everybody nd keep em coming i went out gain today and got my first try but had some problems on others even had to wet exit twice but i know its all about the learning curve and thats why i was out there practice mke perfect if im lucky and i m noticing why im hving problems most of the time now if i could just KEEP MY DAMN HEAD DOWN and focus on my setup ill be doing great one of the problems today ws on occasion i dont think i ws putting my left blade over my bot which was simply spinning the boat in place instead of rolling let me know if this doesnt sound right as always all advice is not only apreciated but wanted the boat spun like a top when this cenario happened every time safe boating and thanks again
helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #17
ann arbor, Michigan
sorry a button sticks apharently
Old 08-17-2008   #18
B.F.E., Wyoming
sounds like your pulling the paddle blade across your body and not letting it glide on the surface...You might want to check your blade angle when you set up... make sure its flat or a little open to glide across the surface before you pull down on it to use it for leverage...
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #19
ann arbor, Michigan
actually when i hit it just right honestly i dont think i really pull down for leverage it feels like i just pop up and im on top i dont usually try to intentionally pull down when i do i never seem to complete my roll i usually set up at a 90 to the boat and simply sweep to the stearn trying to keep my head down and i usually pop up
Old 08-18-2008   #20
Dekalb, Texas
Ive had my yak for about 3 weeks now... learned my roll in about 3 days.... that was my problem in the beginning as well...(head down)... i couldnt do a c to c either... soo i went to a sweep, but now that ive learned that i can do a c to c.... i actually today did my first legit hand roll.... i can roll 50/50 on my strong side... on my offside... nothing.... think ive rolled 3-4 times total on my offside...i get the boat all the way up on its side... just cant get it flat on the water....

BooF4FooD is offline   Reply With Quote