Old 05-26-2010   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Woody Paddle Repair

I've got a woody that is wearing out at the ends of the blades (splitting) and is in need of repair... Anyone have some suggestions that work best? I was thinking fiberglass & epoxy, or a polyurethane coating or something along those lines. someone also suggested using bondo to solidly adhere the ends of the blades and sanding it down followed by a polyurethane dip...??? any ideas/photos of what you've done or what works are greatly appreciated

"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've kept mine alive the last few years with a two-component epoxy that I picked up at Home Depot. Get the "marine" version, as they have several types.

Open up the delamination to get it way back in there, then put C-clamps on it and let it sit overnight. I smoothed it out after clamping when it was wet, but never sanded, figuring that's just more material the rocks have to wear off. Polyurethane dip couldn't hurt either.

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Join the club. Roy's repair seems to be working pretty well. I did something similar with mine, but don't think I caught it soon enough. It kept it alive for a bit longer but started to deteriorate further and eventually leaking water really damaged the wood in the upper part of the blade. If you're willing to pay somebody else to do it, I found a guy at this site: Home that apparently does a good job with wood paddle repairs. I contacted him and got an opinion/estimate but never followed through with it as I could not decide whether or not the extent of my damage could be repaired such that it would be worth the cost.

I've probably lost my notes at this point, but I was also curious about the coating AT uses on their paddles because it seems to be quite effective against blade wear. I think it was some material that people use on the decks of sailboats. Anybody know anything about that?

Post a followup if you manage a successful repair.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #4
Hey guys i'm no professional or anything but i have repaired a few wood paddles. First buy some WEST Systems 2 part epoxy. CKS did carry it. Inject it into any cracks and clamp. If paddle is in bad shape, raw wood exposed, refinish hole paddle. Sand down to raw wood, and remove most fiberglass from blades coat with west systems, thin with acetone so to soak into wood, fine sand and replace fiberglass cloth on blades and coat whole paddle with epoxy again. lots of sanding, finish with several coats of Helmsman spar urethane. Or if paddle isn't in to bad shape just use several coats of urethane.
kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

kayak paddle, repair, woody