Old 05-01-2006   #1
Woody Custom Paddles- upcoming production

Whew- It has been a long winter in Colorado.

First things first. I would like to apologize for the 'winter hibernation' of Woody Custom Paddles. If you have been looking for us lately we have been hard to find. However, we are in the process of getting things back up and running. We have had to iron out the wrinkles in some issues. Our website has been down for some time, and consequently so has our e-mail. I have set up an e-mail at - please e-mail me with any questions.

This season we will be producing a limited number of paddles on a first come first serve basis. Aprox 10 per production run- the number of runs is yet to be determined. The price has increased due to production and labor costs. (e-mail me for more info) The first run will begin when we have our first 10 orders.

Thanks for continuing to support the little guys.......

freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #2
sorry to do this- but i want people to see it....

Old 05-09-2006   #3
Sounds Great!

Its's good the hear more folks will have great quality paddles for the up coming paddle season. Thanks Wayne, Fred for your hard work.
Kyle Hagadorn
CREEKER138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #4
Okay, now I'm going to rain on everyone's parade.... These paddles are not worth $450, or whatever stratospheric price they'll be charging on the next run.

Hmmmnn...where shall I start? I own a Woody "Kreekr." The thing weighs a ton. It's prolly (though not scientificaly weighed) equal to about two Werner staight shaft players. This WAS okay with me, because it was sexy as hell and from what I understood it was supposed to be tough as nails. But, after one season of use it's going to shit. Both blades have now split (delaminated) on me. I would have liked to have sent the paddle back during the winter to be refinished- but alas, no response from Wayne was to be had for months. So, now I'm left to fixing it myself. Luckily, I have much experience working with the materials neccesary to extend the blades' lives- but many out there do not.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that these paddles are billed as the "toughest" things out there but it's just not the case. And to add insults to injury they are about as expensive as you get (Jimisticks notwithstanding) and the customer service is for shit.

We all want to help out the small guy- but you can't ignore your customers and get away with it. How many posts were there on this forum screaming bloody murder about Waterstick's lousy service? For me, they were red-carpet compared to this outfit.

So- do what you will, but carry no illusions, this paddle WILL NOT last you a lifetime. I'm out, I have to go and try to get this damn epoxy off my fingers.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #5

I'm out, I have to go and try to get this damn epoxy off my fingers.
use gloves.

....and as far as customer service goes we are trying to fix that. You can contact me with any other questions, suggestions, or rude comments you may have-

Old 05-15-2006   #6
this paddle WILL NOT last you a lifetime
I have yet to see a paddle that will last you a lifetime. I'm usually lucky to have a paddle last a full season. I've broken tons of paddles. I've seen friends break paddles. I've even watched as TG managed to break two paddles in two days simply from landing off drops in a low brace. In 14 years of kayaking, I can honestly say that my current paddle is the only paddle that has lasted me for 3 seasons before I destroyed it.

I destoyed it on a 40ish vert, and yes, I destroyed it partially due to the delamination. I have yet to see a paddle that doesn't delaminate, simply because delamination generally occurs as the ends get worn down. The more you paddle, the more the ends will get worn down, and sooner or later you will need to get a new paddle. Fortunatly, its easy to get new blades (with a few companies) than it is to replace the shaft of a paddle (where many paddles break).

Talked to Woody the other day, supposedly they can repair the paddle blades in less than a week.

In the time that I have had one paddle I've had seven kayaks. I break a ton of gear. I struggled to break that paddle.

I don't mind the extra weight of the kreek'r. In fact, I've grown to like it. Could just be because I have massive biceps. On a serious note, that's why you get the foam core blades.

If you are a novice paddler that still takes a lot of swims, and therefore loses a lot of gear, I would hesitate to buy this high end of a paddle. However, if you only swim once or twice a season (if less, you aren't trying hard enough) then I highly reccommend it.

*Yes, I paddle for Woody. And, I could get shop pro form on any paddle, but I choose not too.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #7
Getting a response

Has anyone else tried to contact these guys? They don't return any emails even after they stated they were trying to fix that problem. You would think that if you want any business you would take 2 minutes to respond to interest in your company. Just thought I'd ask around. Any similar experiences?
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #8
well shit, Routerr. How can you believe a paddle is sexy? Maybe youre using it to spank your woman (women) but otherwise, NO! a paddle cannot be sexy.
grungeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #9
I'm going to have to disagree with you grunge. I look damn sexy holding my Woody.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

marko is offline   Reply With Quote