Old 05-17-2006   #11
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
I have two things to say on the subject of woody paddles as someone who owns and loves the product.

1. I truly believe that they are the best creeking paddle out there....period. Yes they are heavy, yes they still have delam type issues, but they don't snap on you ever.

2. BUT, here lies the problem with them that I have trouble supporting. Customer service is key to any product... PERIOD! Does the manuf "owe you" a new one when the thing starts to break down??? sometimes yes, but most often in this sport... no. Does the manuf "owe you" a call back and discussion on how to fix it, whether you are paying for the fix or not, HELL YES!

Cutch/Marko, not to start a shit fit here, but I personally think you are missing the real problem in the complaints above... I am not sure there is really anyone out there that would argue against Woody's being probably the best creeking paddle out there, but when the customer service leaves you so f'n high and dry, you loose serious credibility as a manufacturer. A delam blade is perfectly acceptable and should be by any serious paddler, but being left with my dick in my hand as opposed to my paddle when leaving for a $9,000 trip to Africa is a totally different agruement that needs some explaining and apologizing if you ask me.

Now here is my last words on this subject. Fred is a good guy and from the sounds of things he is doing an honest effort to get something back off the ground floor that I do want to support. Important to know... is that Fred is also NOT responsible for the customer service issues that I and apparently many others experienced, that rests soley with Wayne himself (regardless of his personal issues, which as a friend I can appreciate, but as a customer don't care about). Fred is probably the answer and fix to those problems... time will tell.

Bottom line in my book is that I love the product but was 1st degree burned by them and for that reason I am going to need to see action not words. I wish them luck and hope that they get it turned around.

Fred, your reply to routter... although out of frustration is not going to help your cause. I applaud your interest in going for it again with Woody, and I think you have a great product to get behind. But your success is going to be based off of how you turn this image issue around.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #12
Okay- my last interjection. Cutch- I wasn't insinuating that I thought the paddle would last me forever. I destroy my gear (five Watersticks in one year) and have come to expect a lack of reliability and durability. That being said this is a qoute from zlseth, who, both this, and especially last season was posting anywhere and everywhere about Woody's:

You will not get your paddle quickly. There in ONE person making your paddle BY HAND. It will take a long time. You will get frustrated at how long it takes. It is worth the wait. You will be happy once you get your paddle. You should never need another paddle again... unless you lose it.

To this statement I was offering a rebuttal. I suppose this would be true if you were a class III boater. But then again, most paddles would last quite a long time under that kind of use. I guess my basic point is that all the broke-ass boaters out there looking to drop big-time coin on a paddle should be truthfully informed. The only beta that was getting out on these sticks was "the best," "lasts forever," "worth every penny" and this WAS prolly the case at $379 (last year's early season retail). But, tack on another hundy or so and I didn't feel that protecting and promoting the small guy all the time was fair.

I too, can get shop form on most paddles. And next time around, it's hard for me to think that I won't get more life out of two or three Werners than one Woody. Though, I admit, they likely won't paddle as well.

routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #14
Golden, Colorado
In response to marko's post which has since been deleted:

This isn't a "gossip" column, it's where people can go to get info on paddling related issues. Craw's assement of Woody's paddles seems to be fair and let's people know that all's not well with the company as some of the other posts might suggest. As a potential customer, I appreciate that. Speaking "directly to Wayne" wouldn't do me a whole lot of good. If Woody's has an answer to the critisicm, let them address it here too. Sounds like they don't. Looks like I won't be getting a Woody's any time soon. Yeah paddles break. That's why I buy $180 paddles. Not $450 paddles.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #15
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Jimi-styx or Pot Hole paddles. Real wood. Real customer care and real durable. And they've been around forever.
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
well...good then...have a nice day
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #17
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
"has been-old man's" prospective

My Humingbird wood paddle is now probably in it's 17th season. (Thanks Tim, it's an awesome paddle.) Though I missed all of last year, I'm sure it has over 5000 river miles on it. Mostly in class IV, V, and VI use. I'd bet most would guess it looks near new still. Guess why? It's kind of like folding you clothes so they don't look wrinkled. I take care of it. I even have Tim Sampsel clean and touch it up every 5 or so years. It is the best piece of kayaking equipment I've ever owned. Need I say? ... Take pride in and care of your gear. I try not to recklessly abuse my boats, my drytop gaskets, etc. Just offering a "has been-old man's" prospective in today's disposable and wasteful society. It's the same attitude I hope people will treat the rivers and campsites with. I've enjoyed the classics rivers and creeks of the West for the past 26 years. Now I occassionally see postings about some boaters jepordizing access to some of the classics because of littering, trespassing, vandalizing, etc. I just hope to remind people to take care of everything. We need to emphasize taking care of our families, each other, our enviroment, and even our boating gear. Sorry to preach. Hope it reaches some of the youngsters though. Gear is expensive. Frankly, it's an investment. A little respect will preserve your investment and provide years of enjoyment. The same is true for our enviroment. Cheers, brothers and sisters! Enjoy the season ... and for all sake ... GET ON DOWN TO FIBArk THIS YEAR. The water, music (the line up is awesome) and beer is all going to be flowing. Cheers and happy paddling!
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006   #18
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I haven't been on th Buzz in a while and I just saw this post.

Yeah, as routter said, I try to post when and where I can about Woody paddles. Wayne is a friend and he takes pride in building a superior product. Of course I am a class III+/IV- boater with no intent of pushing my limits.

At my level, I should never need another paddle. It a few years, it might need a little maintenance. Obviously, I do not comprehend what a Class V boater or a creek boater does to their paddles.

Clearly, from what has been said here, Wayne's paddles may delam after significant use and abuse. But also, clearly, any fiberglassed wood paddle will eventually do that.

Now, what Wayne needs to do is keep on top of his customer service issues and in every production run, prepare to set some time aside for repairs on existing paddles.

I want Woody to be a successful company and I will continue to support my friend in his business venture. But, like a number of people have said here, customer service is absoultely essential. I hope that with freddy's help, the customer service problem will be resolved, but like the production of the paddles, don't expect it to happen overnight.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #19
Boof it like you stole it
G-wood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
My Woody

I too can pro-form Werner's, but bought a Woody last year at $420. I definitely agree about Woody's lack of customer service, but cannot dog the paddle. I work in the customer service industry, and cannot handle bad service, especially towards me.
I've broken other expensive wood paddles (Pothole) but I've put this paddle to the test (and beyond) and it's bomber. I just hope that it will last long enough (sounds like delam probs in a couple years) for Woody's customer service to be as good as their Woody!
boofyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #20
They are great paddles but the customer service or lack thereof is for shit. Plus the fact that they decided they are gonna make more paddles that take 5 weeks to produce when run-off is already here??? Well, that's just an outstanding business plan!

Anyway, I have 196cm 10 or 15 degree Kreekr that i've paddled about 6 times. Its in almost new shape. Just can't get used to the offset and going back to 30 degrees. I'll take $300 obo.

mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote