Mountain Buzz banner

Wood availability in Cataract Canyon

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Doubledown 
#1 ·
I'm heading down Cat next weekend and was wondering how much drift wood is at the camps for fires. Also wondering how far the current flows before becoming lake. I heard it flows to Hite now ... is this true? Thanks.

#2 ·
Last few years you could row to hite, but the reservoir has been making an unfortunate comeback this year. I haven't been down there since July, but my guess is that there is only current to Dark Canyon at best (most likely not even that far). We motored off in July, would have been a long row if we hadn't. Drift wood shouldn't be a problem to find.

#7 ·
You don't go to Hite. It's about 20 feet above river level now I hear. You'll take out at Dirty Devil. It's pretty flat, and if you stopped right below the rapids it would be a long hard haul to make the rest in a day. If you can hammer out 5 or 10 miles after the rapids I'd say one solid day is reasonable. We did this and took out at dark last month.

We didn't have any trouble having fires every night, but that was a month ago... I'd bring 3 bundles as back up if you have room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.