Old 05-27-2008   #11
Ha, ha, I haven't swam at all this year. How cool is that?!?! Oh yeah, I haven't been in my boat yet this year, either. I am planning a tour de Ark this week. Maybe Royal Gorge Thurs-ish and Fri, then head out to Brown's and the Numbers. Anyone want to join me and rescue my sorry ass every day, just let me know.

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #12
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Got flipped by a sneaky little lateral breaking wave on the Upper C.
Swam quite a ways due to a serious lack of eddies at this high water.

P_McP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #13
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Justin, been in that wonderful hole a time or two myself. Kinda sucks that you don't even get to the meat before a possible swim is in effect.

That one can be nasty...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
I saw one raft flip on the Dolores in Snaggletooth yesterday. Actually never saw it go over, just came down and saw it upside down a bit below Snaggletooth. Everything seemed intact when we helped re-flip it. I have a couple photos of the last of 6 boats in that party from Boulder/Denver. PM me if you want copies.
Could you send those to me. I think those were my friends and unfortunately couldn't make the trip there. Should be good for a laugh. Please email me at

Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #15
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
had a good clean day on the Gorge on Sat., so I'll share my pine creek and #4 swims from last week--ran upper pine creek solid, then hit the eddy above the hole too high and spun out and flipped, after giving up on the brace, thinking "I'll just roll right up" --uh-uh, the boiling water wasn't having any of that--note to self: don't give up on the brace--so then proceeded to go into the hole upside down and yardsaled my boat and paddle--thanks to Eric, Andy, Dan, and Clint variously for the bulls-eye rope throw, gear recovery, gear ferrying, etc. Then, fell asleep at the wheel into a nice rock on # 4 which sent me right over, into about 10" deep water, dragging on the rocks which wouldn't allow me to set up my paddle to roll, while simultaneously crushing my knuckles--hello, can u say offside roll? Painful day last weekend, so it was very nice to have a clean run this weekend!
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #16
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My cat endoed in Siedels on Sunday. Couldn't quite make it through the hole where we watched a few bigger boats go through. Managed to self rescue and come out pretty unscathed. Did loose a New Belgium hat, Rockies hat, a pair of sunglasses and a can of PBR though. Drop me a PM if you find any of them.
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #17
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This season sure has been interesting so far. I pinned my boat on an undercut on the Salt for 22 hours in April. The moonlight run on the Upper C @ 5000 was an error in judgement. I think the dog was a little pissed I swam her in Yarmony. She still loves me I think......
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #18
ColoSprgs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Enjoyed some carnage myself. I swam out of black rock rapid on sat. That is a bony ass swim. Thanks to Andy, Justin, Patrick and Ian for recovery efforts. Clear creek still has my paddle.
REXinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Chased a buddy's boat for 1/2-3/4 of a mile on Friday after he swam out of Rigor. I am not much of a runner.

Crew had a swim on the rapid after 4 falls on Bailey after the swim team member snapped his paddle on a rock. Smooth rescue though.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #20
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
We had a mini-me flip on the wrap rock in 3-mile on the Dolores. I then managed to dumptruck the same mini-me on the flat water section at the end after loading it down with 7 drunk people and floating into a rock sideways.
That was fun! I also destroyed my liver on the Dolores and I have a little bit of a sunburn. Thanks for the great time Kjirsten!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote