Old 10-24-2011   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Winter/Spring East Coast boating

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide what to do this winter/spring. We are wondering what time of year the rivers start running out in the east. We have a shredder and are considering a road trip out there.

We are thinking any where and everywhere along the east...Georgia, West Virginia, North Carolina...anywhere the water is running.

I was wondering what time of year is best to come out there. Also if there is a good circut to travel along (south to north, etc). We dont know a ton about the east but are interested in exploring out there. We are comforatable class III-V boaters and would love any beta yall have. Must does, places to avoid, places to camp/stay, anything and everything is apprechiated.

There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The River Gypsies Guide to North America

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #3
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
YO Kids! Would love to give you my beta & pass a long lots of worthy connections. Give me a buzz one of these days! 303-589-7271
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado

How is it going man...long time no talk to. Are you still in the Fort? I think we are heading there in a about a week or so. We are in Meeker (SW of Steamboat) right now working at an elk guiding ranch. We had a great season in ID as I am sure you had as well (where ever you ended up).

We would love to catch up with you man...if you are still in the Fort we should meet up for a beer. If not then we are always cruzin around and should find some time/place to chat...plans for the winter???
There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #5
Bugtussle, Kentucky
Everything down here is rainfall dependant in the winter. Creekin season is about to start for most of us, Russell Fork release season just ended and most of our rain is in the winter/early far as when/what is running its up to the weather gods.
For a shredder, I'd say French Broad in NC, Big South Fork in TN, Russell Fork above 700cfs (KY/VA), Nolichucky in TN, Obed in TN...lots of smaller creeks that might be fun to try in a shredder, but I haven't seen very many. Chattooga in Georgia is another one...and if they are releasing (rare) the Tallulah and Cheoah are classics.
West Virginia is too damn cold in the winter, but Gauley and New might have flows at times...if not ice. Better for x-country skiing.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote