Old 01-07-2013   #31
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980

Re-reading my earlier post, it may have seemed I was hating. Didn't mean it that way. Awesome thing to go into the middle of a large wilderness, alone in the winter.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #32
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Squeaks2, Nice trip and trip report and thanks for posting the pics. I have been getting into winter hiking and camping and really enjoyed your post. I sent you a pm with a few questions.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #33
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Totally badass. Loved reading this.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #34
Paddling Since: 96
Cool adventure, nice write up. Did you have any way of knowing that you weren't going to show up to a completely frozen rio? Seems like its a short window of fluidity once a northern rio gets that much ice started.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #35
alta, Utah
Damn Squeeks! I love my GF. We have been paddling together 19 years. I mean her no disrespect....but, with her her being home, safe, & dry there is nothing happening between us that would motivate me to carry, drag, and post-hole hike my (multi-day equipped) boat through that canyon. That is an impressive amount of commitment and given the way you describe eddying out above ice-dams; I think you may have invented a new sport.

I am curious?

How much info did you have about river ice before you went in?

I am guessing that you went from around 7,000 ft to 3,000 ft; how much snow & ice in the top 2,000 ft compared to the bottom?

I have done a winter over-nighter..with ice/snow portages ..not near the epic you pulled off but, my dry-suit was just tattered ribbons at the end..all fucked up and useless from the knees down...I was wishing that I had brought gaiters. How many dry-suit holes/tears did you deal with?

Other than the dry-suit, which makes sense, and renting your boat; do you have any other recommendations for the cold weather ice paddler?

Again, nice work.

barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #36
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
About the ice:

I called around a bit to see if anyone knew much about the ice conditions. However, I did not really care what the answer was. I simply wanted to be able to give a reasonable estimate of my exit date. If the river was fully iced up, so what? I would simply pack up and walk the shore. It may take a few more days but it wouldn't be much of a deal.

About Boating with the ice:

I did not run a single foot of river for which I did not have an out. So, there was zero stress on the water. When I could not see an out before the river went out of view, I would pull over and scout.

About the Wilderness:

I was never more than 2.5 days walk from people. So, even if I lost my boat and all my gear, the walk to help would be fairly stress free with what I carry in my survival kit inside my drysuit. It is the same approach I take on my Selway runs. Compared to up north, the MF is not all that remote.

About the drysuit:

First off, the OS systems non breathable suits are bomber. I only ended up with one tear and a scuff. All from scrambling through shore rocks in the lower canyon. The tear was from lifting a foot and catching a roll of material on a crystal. If the dry suit was not 2 sizes to big the tear would not have happened. The ice itself only took a toll on my hands.

However, I am really, really careful with my movement when I am solo. I don't take a single step without thinking whether there is a chance I might slip or fall with that foot placement. Especially with a heavy pack on, stumbling around is fairly unacceptable.

About the snow:

Surprisingly, the snow depth did not change at all. If anything, there was more snow in the lower canyon than at the start.
squeaks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #37
Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Damn that's a lot of work, thanks for the report. Humbling moments I'm sure. Cheers.
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #38
Post Falls, Idaho
How did you fit the groover, firepan, and gray water strainer in that pack raft? I sure hope you did the trip on the up and up. You didn't forget to pay your $6 per day to the FS did you?

In all seriousness, for the naysayers, that country is packed all winter long with people. I worked as a hunting guide in the MFS 15 years ago and you'd be surprised at how often these things are done safely year after year. Its really one of the few place in the lower 48 that you can have that kind of experience. Thats why it is so important to protect the river of no return wilderness.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #39
Seattle, Washington
awesome trip. inspiring. looks to me like a well executed plan with appropriate gear and planning and backup options. which is the hallmark of someone doing a trip within their abilities. kudos, and thanks for sharing! any good skiing in there?
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #40
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Very cool.

I'm not envious of you in any way--that doesn't look like a trip I'd like to duplicate. You are a tough mofo and I hope you got the experience you were looking for. Good on you for getting out and doing something completely unusual.

Great work on the report and the photos. Your report was good, but the photos added a lot. It was interesting to see how what I visualized when I read your first thread matched up with your 2nd thread with pics.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote