Mountain Buzz banner

Wind in Ruby Horsethief?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave Frank 
#1 ·
Is it likely to be windy this time of year?

I would like to leave the outboard at home, but would be kicking myself if I had to row against a head wind all afternoon to get the off the river.

Dave

#5 ·
amen. youre on a raft trip, fucking row for once. i hate people who ruin special places like that wiht gas guzzling engines, the very thing we strive to get away from on the river! but seriously, just pull over if it gets windy and chill out and then wait until evening when it dies down.

#7 ·
Thanks for your enthusiasm.

I do prefer not motoring, but sometimes it sure is a nice option. Like when you are rowing so hard to get out of Westy that if you try to take a sip of your beverage you get blown up stream.

It is a fairly clean 4 stroke, so it doesn't stink too much.

Hopefully I won't need to use it, but it will be coming along.

#8 ·
The true question is how many rafts can you pull? syotr dave.

#10 ·
Motor Haters

Here people go with wanting more laws. I betcha if you didn't focus all your energy and time on hating the motors you wouldn't even notice them. Granted, there are still the loud a$$holes that whiz by on fishing boats, but how many times has a raft with a motor REALLY HONESTLY been a problem? Also, if a freak wind picks up, someone w/a motor might even offer to barge up and get your butt to the takeout.

#11 ·
ever try a drag anchor? they're really for not drifting while you fish, but I've used an 18" one for moving water in a canoe. it catches in the current and pulls the boat downstream. with a big enough one you could likely get your raft to still go downstream with only minimal rowing to keep 'er straight?

best 'o luck then, when's yer trip?

#13 ·
I don't think I will ever leave it behind, unless it is running 25K. It just opens so many options. We didn't manage to leave the ramp till 1:30 and were not stressed at all. Floated for 2 hours, then motored for an hour down to black rock. Had the kids fed before 6. Without a motor we would have had to camp on one of those gravel benches instead of a nice sandy beach. Maybe no big deal for adults, but the beach makes the trip for the little guys.

Lots of folks running motors in there this weekend. almost everyone has enough respect to idle down as they pass camps, so you can't even hear them. Not quite true for the 175 horse jet drives, but there were few enough that they were ALMOST cool. Surprisingly enough, my 4 year old, who lives to see the loud trains go by, was not impressed with loud motors on the river; unless of course it was ours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.