Old 06-22-2006   #11
ever try a drag anchor? they're really for not drifting while you fish, but I've used an 18" one for moving water in a canoe. it catches in the current and pulls the boat downstream. with a big enough one you could likely get your raft to still go downstream with only minimal rowing to keep 'er straight?

best 'o luck then, when's yer trip?

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #12
Salida, Colorado

4-stroke baby

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't think I will ever leave it behind, unless it is running 25K. It just opens so many options. We didn't manage to leave the ramp till 1:30 and were not stressed at all. Floated for 2 hours, then motored for an hour down to black rock. Had the kids fed before 6. Without a motor we would have had to camp on one of those gravel benches instead of a nice sandy beach. Maybe no big deal for adults, but the beach makes the trip for the little guys.

Lots of folks running motors in there this weekend. almost everyone has enough respect to idle down as they pass camps, so you can't even hear them. Not quite true for the 175 horse jet drives, but there were few enough that they were ALMOST cool. Surprisingly enough, my 4 year old, who lives to see the loud trains go by, was not impressed with loud motors on the river; unless of course it was ours.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off