Mountain Buzz banner

Will it Rear its Head?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  phlyingfish 
#1 ·
I don't know how many of you know about the Bladder Wave near Boise, Idaho, but this year it is supposed to be in. Here are a few pics I found, I was out of town last time it was in so this isn't me.
Rapid River Water resources Water Whitewater kayaking

Water sport Whitewater kayaking Wave Rapid Outdoor recreation

Canoe slalom Boating Outdoor recreation Rapid Whitewater kayaking

I can't wait for spring!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, the Bladder was in from mid-May to mid-June this year. We need above average snowpack in the Payette Drainage, favorable release timing out of Cascade or massive flow on the SF Payette (total flow on the Main Payette at Horseshoe Bend must exceed 10 grand), and the bladder must be partially deflated to pass the high flow. The wave doesn't form if the bladder is completely deflated. The shape of the wave was slightly different every time I surfed it this year because the air moves around in the bladder. Sometimes, at identical flow, it was sicko and other times it was flat and barely surfable.

All that adds up to being one of the least predictable, but most rewarding features I have been lucky enough to surf. Pray for snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.