Old 04-23-2007   #1
Will Escalante come back in?

Any body in the area know if there's any snow left up there? It looks like it should be getting nice and warm there by the end of the week.

waynechorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
We were up there this weekend. There was precipitation, and it froze at night. I would not be suprised if a little bit of snow fell at the headwaters at higher elevations. The snow forecast for this past weekend predicted snow at the higher elevations too.

I didn't see the headwaters plateau, but similar elevation mesa / plateau features on the way back through glenwood still had snow on them.

Most of the side creeks coming into escalante had a trickle of clear water coming in too, so there is still something up there.

My totally unqualified guess is that she's still got a bit more left to her.

Flow this weekend was low, but still fun. Lower gorge was good, upper was fun, but bony in between. No hazards to report.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #3
I think Deep South has it right. I can't believe it was even running at all this weekend. It was very chilly. I think the added moisture from the fresh rain and snow was the only thing keeping it alive. It is raining in Montrose right now and it may be snowing up above Escalante.

I can still see a little white up there. If we would just get a few really hot days and nights I think we might get a couple more weeks of medium flow. If it stays cool we will just loose it all to low flows.
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #4
Weather report looks good then, supposed to snow/rain up there tonight and then the temperature is supposed to just keep creeping up, getting up in the 80's this weekend with warm nights. Sounds like if the weather report is on it will go. I think we're going try to bag some of the climbs in the canyon too, gordo and gary said you put up alot of the climbs in the canyon, any place to find beta on them, or do you want to share any info?
waynechorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #5
there's some beta on mnt project:

they show about 8 routes there at 2 different areas.

it's pretty easy to climb with no guide up there, as one can easily roll up the canyon, and look for the prime lines. maybe bring some binocs to look for teh rap anchors. although you may have a hard time seeing them, as lots of them may be painted or set where you can't see them (hopefully). kind of ballsy to head up something with no assurance of descent, though....i bet if you stick to plumb looking cracks you'll be fine. bring lots of 2's and 3's. i rememeber climbing at at least 5-6 different areas, lots of good 10 cracks.

there's also unaweep canyon, that is covered in mnt. proj. and std. guides right there too. if you're more into the sandstone, though, there's even sandstone routes at the beginning of unaweep on the right side of the canyon as you're driving up.

have fun - S
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #6
????, Colorado
Paddling Since: ????
scrape, scrape, scrape... weeeee, splash!, scrape.....ect

not a bad time up there if you were wearin enough gear. hell, it was boatin.. and the lower gorge was enough fun to do it a coupple of times.. not too bad for colorado in april...
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #7
Wayne, If it gets that hot I think you are right about this weekend. It should go off. It is 46 degrees and still raining here in Montrose. I won't be able to hit it until Monday, but if it comes up we better hit it soon.

As far a climbing, a good place to start is the area just above Captain Smith's Cabin. There are several lines there from 5.10 to 5.12. A short walk up canyon from the same parking area will get you to Willie's Hand Jive, which is an absolute classic steep 5.10 hand crack. (look carefully and you can see it from the road.)

If we run into eachother up there sometime I will take you the good stuff. It's kind of hard to give directions to some of the crags.

Have Fun.
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003

so what day this weekend do you all think it'll be best? i'm workin sat but might head up friday or sunday. it looks like the weather will improve on wednesday, how long does it need to come up?

Cinnamonster is offline   Reply With Quote