Old 08-05-2008   #21
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
In control or operate. How about drifting and for that matter, I don't ever claim to be in control. THE RIVER IS!

randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #22
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
The world is really starting to suck. I mean it was sucking before, but this is really adding to the overall suckiness of the whole thing. I can understand if there was any chance of my canoe or raft for that matter coliding into an innocent bystander and killing them like a car, but that is not the case here. Fuck the man on this one thats for sure.
don't worry about it granpa, they won't bust you for puttin back cough syrup. besides, you don't even have a vessel to get busted in anyway!!!

tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #23

Well, on my soapbox again. Yep, it sucks. But WE can help the situation by not being obnoxiously drunk around "other" boaters. The get-in and get-out fall into these catagories as well. Pay attention people.
rafterbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #24
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by sj View Post
...Say next time a jet skier kills a tubber.
I just pictured this happening and it made my day! Maybe we should allow jetskis on the Poudre...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #25
Durango, Colorado
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
The only way they could enforce this is if rangers started carrying breathilizers.

If you get harassed, you could refuse the breathalyzer. You cannot have your Drivers License revoked for BUI. Anyhow a decent cop is going to wait until you hop in your car and really bust you. Then its hello interlock, goodbye dinero.

My advice is to show police, rangers and the like; that river boaters are a dynamic group of respectful and responsible people that don't need to be harassed. Now, if that were only true...

Perhaps carry a garbage bag at all times. If harassed, pretend to be a do-gooder on a river clean up. Maybe that would earn favor with them.
waveTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #26
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Carry a garbage bag, and tell them that the 30 pack of beer cans in it were empties that you "cleaned up" from shore.

So does this mean that I could get pinched while hammered floating on a pool raft?
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #27
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
In the "Good Old days" we never left shore without a cooler full of beer on ice. And that was with Commercial raft trips. As I recall we never had any problems. Even in serious water.

The boatmen were free to drink as much as we cared too. Although we never over did it.

And on my first Grand Canyon trip I took 15 cases of beer . . . for myself. I was obviously math impaired since I could NEVER drink a 12 pack a day. Even back then.

But as I get older I have come to see the connection between the outdoors and alcohol as being very negative. An awful lot of people need to drink to have fun and that strikes me as a more than a bit wierd.

(Plus I spent some time working on an ambulance. If you want to get a distaste for alcohol, try that. Drunks are not very funny.)

It would seem the new regulations are not that onerous. They may be common sense. To be enforced after something occurs.

But I would bet the number of boating accidents attributable to alcohol consumption are insignificant.

And while I don't partake of the weed any more I would recommend it in the wilds. It serves to enhance your experience without messing with your motor skills.
original durangotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #28
I am disappointed that paddlers are not outraged by this. Cool cops or not, there is clear difference between a jet ski and a kayak. This is like comparing walking to ice skating. It's a bad law and need to be treated as such -- in court.
First of all, who sponsored this legislation? We need to know and make sure this person is exposed as an over-reactionary safety nut who does not understand the most basic fundamentals of this country.
Second, anyone -- anyone -- who gets pinched by this nonsense needs to write about here, explaining the circumstances accurately and clearly. We'll all need to donate what we can for this victim to fight in court. Again, with the right fight we can challenge this.
BTW: The best post so far is to refuse the breathalyzer. Nice one -- and that is exactly what I would do too. Never do the cops' job for them.
Lastly, in defense of the Ark Rangers: They've always been cool to me. But I'd much rather rely upon my rights.
Jon-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #29
If anyone cares to read the revised bill here is the html link:

and here is the link in pdf format:

State Bill Colorado - Bill Center
JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #30
Leadvillian, Colorado
I am not an attorney but as I remember refusing the breathalyer is usually considered a criminal offense due to implied consent laws akin to obstruction of justice.

I would guess that those of you that predict the proverbial book to be thrown just got larger are correct. Rangers could in fact usually apprehend an obviously intoxicated paddler using public drunkeness laws but this new law will probably directly effect liability in private accidents as well as nuisance charges at put-ins and take-outs.

Perhaps a legal defense fund should be started. The first paddler to be arrested for non-motorized BUI will in effect be the test case. If this case is dismissed then the precendent for subsequent arrests would be weakened. Personally my money is on the first case coming from the Pumphouse to State Bridge section. Unfortunately it's difficult enough to get boaters to pony up for the booze much less a defense fund to keep them out of jail after consuming it.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote