Mountain Buzz banner

Why would I need a frame

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  BoilermakerU 
#1 ·
I'm new to white water rafting and basically fell in love with it after taking a trip to Uganda and doing a run on the Nile River. I'm back in the states and ready to purchase my own raft. Do I need an aluminum frame?

#4 ·
depends on the boat and what type of rafting you want to do. Some boats are small enough that two people sit inside and use a paddle similar to a canoe. Or you load it up with passengers and go down the river for a day trip.

if you are talking about multiple day trips usually this involves a small number of people on a boat and enough gear and food to support them. In this case obviously having a frame will allow you to use oars. Not to mention secure places to store your drybox, coolers, etc as well as secure all this down to your boat.

#6 ·
The answer to this question really depends on how you plan to use your raft. If you're always planning on taking some friends out to get wet paddle rafting, and will always have at least one other person to come with you, then you can do just fine without one. If you want to use the boat for multi-day camping trips for you and your SO then you'll want to get a frame.

-AH

#8 ·
Also depends somewhat on the size of the raft you get. While there is always someone that will say they do it, generally, I don't think you'll want to R2 a large raft, especially given that you're new to rafting. A small raft, then yeah, you might consider it.

Also consider that getting a frame and oars means you can go it alone if you want to, and be very maneuverable, powerful, etc on your own. For example, I have a wife and two kids. The kids don't provide much help paddling (but they enjoy it), and my wife is not all that strong either. So, with the frame and oars, I can take us all pretty much anywhere (float trip and class III) and be totally in control, even if they are paddling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.