Old 12-26-2011   #41
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
This thread is funny. I see all the well known good kayakers (Janney, Keck, Cutch) making intelligent comments and dumbass halfass paddlers like dirtbag and asshole making stupid comments. How many of you have tried any drop over 20 ft? I will say anything over 40 can hurt like hell no matter how you land it, and no one would go to pull the skirt before impact!

mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #42
Indian Hills, Colorado
lets not get to far ahead of ourselves here, janney NEVER makes inteligent comments. it is actually a small seizure of the upper extremities that spell check just so happens to correct and may or may not form a proper sentence.

be safe and have fun on the grand buddy. i am sure you will miss keck fist pumping for more bacon!

Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #43
steamboat, Colorado
If you swam in a rapid/drop, then you didn't run the rapid. You tried to run the rapid. This is true even if you swam at the bottom of the rapid/drop, which is the most likely place to swim because you probably tried to roll several times during the rapid if you flipped. Getting ejected is swimming. It is simple. Coming out of the boat is swimming. Swimming is not kayaking.

I think it is disingenuous to say you "ran" that drop or rapid if you wound up swimming. It would be more accurate you to say you "tried" to run that drop.

A successful run of a particular rapid/drop requires being in your boat at the bottom, not just having the guts to paddle up to the lip.

As far as successfully running a long run [Grand], you might just need to have all your gear at the takeout, even if you swam a drop or two. For a short run, like OBJ, you need to stay in your boat to achieve success.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #44
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I would go so far to say that I have unsuccessfully run plenty of rapids without actually swimming. My last swim was in the 90s, but I've still had some rough lines! Adam, I'm sure you've seen plenty of my flailing without too bad of an outcome... I still have respect for people trying to run anything this stout!

By the way, it better start snowing soon or there won't be a boating season around here. Sledding's pretty rough right now, too!

mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote