Old 12-20-2011   #21
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Originally Posted by erdvm1 View Post
Who was the guy that had to say his boys stayed in their kayaks but he didn't?
The winner of the Green Race this year. It really sucks to swim a drop that your boys stick. I've been on both sides of that coin.

In my book a swim is a fail, but definitely does not mean he didn't belong or shouldn't have given'er. Way to get after it fellas!

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #22
Boulder, Colorado
A successful run is up to the individual, for me I can have unsuccessful lines without flipping if I don't hit a stroke right or if my body position isn't correct. For some people being alive at the bottom is a success, these people scare me.
And rafters can have unsuccessful lines without a flip/wrap, what do you call it when people loose their oars and are holding on for dear life?

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #23
Originally Posted by adgeiser View Post
in the video they say that 2 stayed in their boats and one swam.

anytime everyone comes away without a injury is a successful day on the river, but.....

there has to be a line drawn on what has been "run". (be that an industry standard, your crew's or your own personal line)

an example of my personal standard can be illustrated with a run one of our crew took on super max this summer. This particular paddler rolled 5 times in the rapid (not all in one spot either). In my book that is not successfully running the rapid, it is surviving the rapid.
Now others may disagree with me because she did stay in her boat, but with 5 rolls at no point was she in control, she was completely at the mercy of the river.

My 2 cents.

but i am curious what others think of this idea of a "successful run"'

You are completely correct, I have seen the exact same thing (also happened to have seen it by hard core girls, although guys are just as guilty), 5 rolls in a rapid and completely at the mercy, then they fist pump and celebrate like they totally stuck it. All I can think is, you just about died and you have no idea. On the other hand when you charge a 90 footer and swim, it is completely successful (you just get to add an exclamation point with a picture of you drinking a bootie with a 90 footer in the background). It would NOT be successful as far as the world record. As everyone knows for a World Record to count you have to stomp the shit out of it. If Kobayashi stuffed 50 hot dogs in his mouth then puked on the audience it would not be a world record.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #24
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Here's a thought......Would the boat company use this as an advertisement? If not then I would have to consider it not a success.

When the guys are doing the crazy double back flips on the motorcycles is it a success when the guy eats sh1t but gets up without a scratch?????.................. I say no.
Does the guy have huge B*lls?? Absolutely.

Maybe he needed a better boat? Ha.
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #25
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
I am a pilot..... and i have had many bad landings....... and i have never bent metal or caused an injury.... I have walked away from all my bad landings..... and i have had many.

I have 15,000+ landings in 22 years...... far under 100 swims in 18 years.... if I swim a drop I don't consider it a sucessful run. If I have a bad landing I still consider it a sucesful flight
Hang in there, some pilots just learn slower than others. Try to hold that power in a little longer and slowly reduce the throttles. Anyway he stills needs to have a booty beer.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #26
I think that this is some funny shit... since the swimmer in the video was the winner of the green race in long boats and 2nd in the short boat... just funny to be giving him shit for running the brown!
overlyworked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #27
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
proving once again that gravity works
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #28
dropzone, Colorado
Interesting discussion and all, but the bottom line about Noccalula falls is that 3 of the best kayakers in the world right now managed to stomp another hudge SE waterfall 1D on big rainflow. Saying someone's run wasn't a "success" when they executed as planned on the drop and happened to get blown out of the kayak at the base from the impact (or even missed a handroll, not sure) in a huge pool is pretty sweet, though. I guess that's what keeps some folks going in the winter. For me, seeing this footage was a highlight of my day when it was posted and the only thing I could think was: "effing awesome!"

In case you haven't seen their edit, check it out:

And if you haven't seen Isaac's dusk line on Desoto, you should see that too:
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #29
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I was mostly poking fun at the media for labeling them "extreme".

You're right, that takes huge balls to huck yourself off of that lip, no disrespect there. But, there has to be a better definition of a successful run. When it just comes to surviving a huge drop, I don't see a whole lot of difference between taking a good boof stroke and surviving vs. jumping over the lip and surviving.

I never consider a swim a successful run, and I am always eager to get back and run the same drop again to prove to myself that I can actually run it. I am still haunted by a couple bad runs that in hindsight, I would have done things a little differently.

Honestly, I am not too bothered however you want to define success. As long as you are getting out and having fun (occasionally pushing your personal limits), that is the important thing.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #30
Denver,, exhaustion
I think the funniest part is everybody saying he owes a bootie beer.
I'm pretty sure his crew has made sure of that.
And i truely hope no one here really questions his ability to run stuff like that.

Also he clearly states that his skirt imploded causing the swim, not a missed roll.
either way he swam. when running anything that big all conditions must be just right for the run to be successful..... right? his skirt imploded (not just right), he swam.

But seriously I am so glad these guys are running stuff like that.

"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote