Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-12-2004   #1
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Why some kayakers should learn manners in the ocean.

After dropping in on a sweet wave in Santa Cruz and getting a few yards down the line, some dumb ass goes ahead and does the unspeakable. Dropped straight down in my path and then after this shot caught me in the eye with his paddle. Just pointing out that if you go in the ocean know what you are doing or stay away. Had this guy done this to a non paddler he would have more than likely been throttled on shore. Especially at Steamers Lane. I gave him the business when I got back to the line up.
His response? " I didn't think you could catch up to me and i was trying to get out of your way" Answer to him "your a tool dude and should have never paddled for it"

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
yeah but at least your ass looks good in that wetsuit....

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #3
Golden, Colorado
That was kind of you to be so gentle with him. I think he is sociopathic.

There is no excuse for a paddler to go out at a crowded spot on a good day in Nor Cal. Kayakers can paddle many spots that are too rocky or too difficult a paddle for board surfers. The number of surfable spots for surf kayaking in Nor Cal is orders of magnitude larger than that available to board surfers.

Kayakers should give board surfers a wide berth. If they don't then surfers will take care of it in the traditional manner and it will become not so fun for us to drive up to a spot with a boat on the roof and Colorado plates.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #4
That sucks that that guy got in your way/ stole your wave, and I know that there is an eddicate to surfing in the ocean, ie stay away from surfers, don't steal waves, etc. etc. But why is it that surfers have such a dickhead attitude about the whole thing. What is it about surfers that makes them think they are so much better than everyone else? Share the f#@#ing water. When surfers go up to lunch counter on the snake they don't get kicked off and beat up in the parking lot, surfers are gay and need to drop the punk ass attitude. Learn to share, most of us learned that in kindergarden - maybe it is just the California "Rad Bro" attitude that keeps them from being cool. Even kayakers that surf seem to have the "Rad Bro" attitude when they are surfing, chill out and enjoy the water where ever it is plentiful.
Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #5
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer brookaitken.com, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook

Hey Hobie and Harvey when are you guys going to Reno. R U taking the Amtrack? I might come along to supervise the drinking, gambling, and debotchery!

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #6
Golden, Colorado
You are retarded, wycoloboater, but I don't hold it against you. Let's go creeking some time.

Surfable ocean waves are a limited resource. I am a surfer who turned to kayaking when I became land-locked so I can see it from both a surfer's and a paddler's perspective. I am always a visiting surfer when in California these days because I live in Colorado so I don't like localism either. However it exists for a reason: when you are close to town there are not enough nice surfable waves for everyone to get one.

Surfers will not bother you if you surf respectfully. I have only seen one fight in almost 20 years. I have dropped in on people and people have dropped in on me. When it happens, an apology is given and that's that.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #7
Denver, Colorado

Since when did you become such a little bi*ch?

"your a tool dude and should have never paddled for it"

You would have done the same f***ing thing. Maybe you saw Point Break recently and are trying to be a Warchild.
LoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #8
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Maybe kayakers dont know the rules. Who ever is closest to the first part of the beak keeps the wave. Its a pecking order. The better Surfers generally stay in the locations that get the first break. The thing that sucks is that if you are in a boat and you have caught the wave there really is no way to get off of it. You also cant carve out of the way of a surfer as easy as a surfer can. Kayakers generally dont work a wave the same way a surfer does either. A surfer can cover a ton of teritory on one wave they need the room.

Then there is a perception issue. A surfers equipment is a board and a wet suit. Kayakers kind of look like "gear queers" with all of the stuff. To a surfer it looks a little less "pure" with all the crap (paddle, life jacket, helmet, spray skirt. You may not understand it but I think this is a perception that is had. In their minds they probably think it takes less skill to paddle a boat than to ride a board..... I can remeber how cheesy it was when Vanilla Ice used to ride his jet ski up the New River, possibly think along those lines.

My sugestion for you kayakers is this.... You have one thing to offer a surfer that he cant offer you..... Storage. Take some water out with you or even some beer.... It will go a long way.

all that being said.... it made for a pretty funny photo.

ben rodda
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #9

Just wait till the riverboarders start massing at our favorite playspots wanting to belly surf on their little sleds. So I wonder if these same kayakers who think surfers should lose their dickhead attitudes, would wave a riverboarder into a hole when there are 25 boats in the eddy ahead of you and you've only had one ride, which you flushed from immediately, and you only have 20 minutes to paddle.
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004   #10
Los Quenes, Curico, Chile
Paddling Since: 1993
Send a message via MSN to Todd Send a message via Skype™ to Todd
LoopDog- what are you talking about, Hobie has every right to confront any kayaker, or surfer for that matter, who chases the wave when it is already spoken for. If he doesn't then the problem gets worse. We already have issues between boarders and kayakers. I have seen the problems mostly due to lack of kayaker etiquette or knowledge. so it is best to educate.

Todd is offline   Reply With Quote