Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-13-2004   #21
How disappointing to find this post on mtnbuzz. As a surfer first and boater a distant second, I ask you....YOU GO TO SANTA CRUZ AND EXPECT SOLITUDE? Its not going to happen. Then to
carry this reactionary grudge home and post on a message board about how "kayakers should learn manners?" looks really bad. Cmon, you are smarter than that.
Getting angry on the water is no different than giving the finger on the highway because someone cut you off. Both will make you look mentally inferior.

We should all try to understand the real meaning of surfing which is to reach a peaceful and harmonious rhythm, not the corrupted system of localism and egomania which run rampant today.

I would suggest reading some of Duke Kahanamoku's writings it may shed some light for you. Duke always considered other surfers to be brothers, not adversaries. We can all learn.

Mysterious_Jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #22
Yeah, yeah, yeah... we are all brothers but there is protocol to be followed in most sporting activities and if you are going to play, then learn how to play.

The surfers are probably not happy to see their territory invaded by a bunch of kayakers. The nerve! Same thing when mountain bikers invaded hiking trails or snowboarders invaded the ski slopes. Learn to play the right way (re: not offend) and you will be better accepted by the group that was there "first". Same thing would happen if the board surfers started showing up at the Golden WW park... there would be a bunch of pissed off kayakers for sure. The surfers would have to follow established etiquette for hole riding.

Hobie - you were in the right and handled it the way it should have been handled. Poo-poo to all the nay sayers.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #23
student/ kayaker
Send a message via AIM to goatboater
I was a surfer first, then a kayaker, then a surf kayaker, so I can see this topic from all the different sides. It works like this- us kayakers are essentially spoiled in terms of our resource, the river. We can sit at a playspot and surf all day long and the wave never goes away. For this reason, we usually don't have any problem sharing the wave. Out in the ocean, however, things are a little different. On a crowded day, you might get five good waves in three hours and that's a pretty good session. So you can understand that when someone snakes you from one of your waves, it's frustrating. It's pissed me off more than once, and I've probably come off as an asshole to people for getting pissed, but really I don't harbor any anger toward the person, it's just frustrating. Welcome to the real world. Share the waves, explain the rules to the rookies, and get out there to have fun, not to get pissed.
The attendant at Ted's Place: "And from now on if I'm working when you come in here, you take as much Nacho Cheese for your burrito as you want- it's on me (wink)."
goatboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #24
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1991
Surfing Story about Localism

You all have some interesting views. Whoever said paddle out there look around and let the people already out there take some waves was right. After 6 years of kayak surfing and some surfing (if you could call my skill level that) I know the rules. Most surfers are cool with you out there if you have the manners. One day I was in Barbados surfing a break which was large and fired only a few times a year. I was in a Prijon Delerium and it was some serious acceleration and fun. It gets dicy paddling out in a sort of point break as surfers are riding in. Usually you paddling your ass off in one direction and staying constant and them seeing you works. You get out of the way in time, no harm done. I had been out there for an hour, stretched and gone back out. I caught one of the largest waves of the day and was loving the surf down the line. I saw a surfer paddling out and tried to stay on the wave and miss him. Why that bastard did not duck dive I will never know. But I had to kick off the wave to avoid hitting him, I did spray him in the face full force and missed his face by about a foot. Was I in the wrong, I did not think so. But he paddled over to me and told me he was going to bash my head in with a rock when we got back on shore. After my local friends told me he has been shot multiple times by the police and was on the run I decided to leave, jumped in the car, threw my boat in the trunk and blazed. This is localism and a few encounters like this can make you jaded. Never have I had another incident like this. I back off the wave if someone else is riding it. Just be careful out there and represent surf kayakers.

HINDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #25
Pro Surfer
**********to the rookie (hobie)*******

Look dude if u don't know how to surf don't mess with the waves, just stay in the rockies and do some paddeling (know whats good for u) I don't think surfing is a good sport for a rookie like u. so u also got a cut on ur eye, sweet man! I wonder why, wait I know because ur not a good surfer. I think u should buy a begginers book about surfing and try to gain some basic knowledge about surfing and then think about going to the beaches. I 've been surfing my whole life, I moved from lajolla beach cali. U need coordination to surf. Real surfers don't bitch about little cuts.
Tweeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #26
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey double..... the front ranger/texan comment stung a bit. Living on the wrong side of the tracks (divide) doesnt make you bad.... "Cant we all just get along?" HEHE
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #27
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
first of all, if you think peeling out of a wave in a kayak is more difficult than on a surfboard, then i suggest more practice before you paddle out into your next line-up.

i, too, grew up surfing, just down the street from where hobie's home break was. when i was in high school, we started surfing in kayaks on days when the breaks weren't all that. the above post from the guy from australia pretty much sums it up. first on gets it, closest to the lip keeps it.

hobie is absolutely correct in this matter.

imagine if you are surfing the kahuna on the dry's or the m-wave or throwin down in a hole and a paddler either drops in on you or paddles right into you for the eddy.

there is etiquette on the river. as paddlers we take the time to learn the rules and practices before going out on the river, BEFORE SURFING OCEAN WAVES, LEARN THE RULES.

matt solomon
Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #28
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Hey tweeker....

Why dont you put your name down? Its easy to bash and look big on the internet, especially when you dont put your name~ Also, can someone list the rules of surfing the ocean? im going to mexico soon......need to know so i dont get chased around by some big spanish soccerplaying surfdudes......

Also, does CHUNDERBOY have an opinion?

Ben Guska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #29
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
ben...i'll fill ya in on specifics between the huge airs we will be hucking the next time we boat. question: how do you spell P-A-D-D-L-I-N-G?

gimme a call if you can boat tomorrow...
Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004   #30
Every time I'm on a beautiful remote river with high quality drops I wonder where everyone is at. Now I know. You are all slugin it out on the beach and at the local play spot. Keep it up I don't mind the solitude.

bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote